fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed my exam on 16th Feb - First attempt

Passed my exam on 16th Feb - First attempt 7 years 2 months ago #9830

• Vignesh Kalyanasundaram
  • Vignesh Kalyanasundaram's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear All,

I feel very happy in letting everybody know that I cleared my PMP exam on February 16th on my first attempt :) I made good use of PMPrepcast and simulator to clear the exam.

It all started in September 2015 and even before becoming a PMP certified Project Manager, I did the cost-benefit analysis! That time I decided to do some certification and I did research on various options like CAPM, PMP, Prince 2, ITIL next level certification etc. Finally, I decided to proceed with PMP.

When it comes to study materials I decided it has to be Rita or Headfirst followed by PMBOK. Then I picked Rita and I have to tell you, it was such a wonderful book. Even while reading, you would get a feel like being in the classroom. The concepts were explained clearly and I completed my first run of the concepts by end of March 2016.

By this time I should have proceeded with my PMI membership and contact hours collection but I took a break for personal reasons. 6 months went and I commenced the journey again and I was about to decide between various online coaching options which give 35 contacts hours. From Shiv'sreviews, I got confidence in Cornelius Fichtner's program and also I was very keen on getting complement bundle having question banks, tips, formulae etc. (pmexamsmartnotes.com/review-pm-prepcast-coupon-gift-certificate-free-bonuses-and-discount/) also I bought Prepcast bundle. It not only gave me a good overview and contacts hours but since I bought it as a combo I got simulator with 1800 questions.

Then the month of October was very important as I did all paper works concluding it with paying the exam fee.

By the end of November, I scheduled my exam and initially, I scheduled for 2nd February 2017. Then I started taking mock exams from various sources and by December end I had the option to assess my preparation and re-schedule my exam. Since I decided that time (45 days before exam) I didn’t pay any extra money and it turned out to be a good decision to re-schedule my exam on 16th February 2017.

Regarding mock exams, I was conscious that I should take from a variety of sources and following are the ones which I took. Oliver’s 75, 175, Headfirst 100 questions, iZenbridge 100 questions, Shiv’s 250 questions, Dex Nova 200 questions, pmstudy circle’s 100 questions, PmZest 100 questions and many online tests of 10-25 questions. Regarding full 4 hours tests, I just took 3 (2 from Prepcast including ITTO edition) and one from justpmp.com. I was able to cover only 1100+ questions from Prepcast and I regret this badly !! I should have taken more questions and more full mocks and I would recommend this to the aspirants as well.

On the day of the exam, I just took one bar chocolate and lemon juice before entering the exam hall. It was nerve-wracking for me and I settled in slowly. For the first 1 hour, I did just 35 questions but I was confident that soon I will gain the momentum and can make it at the end. I didn’t take any break and when I completed my exam I had less than a minute remaining. When I finished my survey I saw the “Congratulations” message and that feel cannot be expressed !!

Take away for aspirants:

- Pick the material which suits you well, be it Rita, Headfirst, PMPrepcast or that of Kim Heldman. But stick to 1 and follow PMBOK later. Too many materials may drag time and make you lose your momentum.

- For each chapter this may work for you:
Shiv’s blueprint+ your selected material + PMBOK. If you do not understand any concepts please search for Saket Bansal’s videos and it will make things pretty clear and it is a great resource. Fahad Usmani’s website also explains concepts in a very simple manner and can refer if you have any doubts.

- Practice more 4 hours test that way you can manage time well and could avoid last minute surprises. My result had 2P & 3MP, had I practiced more 4 hours mock maybe I could have scored Proficient across all domains. The problem with my test was that I marked at least 15-20 questions for review but didn’t review even single question. So practice more and come out with flying colors !!

Best Wishes,
Vignesh
Last edit: by Rochelle Martinez.

Passed my exam on 16th Feb - First attempt 7 years 1 month ago #9899

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Vignesh Kalyanasundaram,

Congratulations on passing your PMP exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and posting your lessons learned.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login