fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP EXAM on 1st attempt

Passed PMP EXAM on 1st attempt 7 years 3 months ago #9475

• CHANTAL TETU
  • CHANTAL TETU's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello everyone,

I passed the PMP exam on my first try today. Got four P and a MP in closing.

My journey started in november 2015. That's when I started to study for the PMP exam.

I already had a copy of the PMBOK. I got Head first. And went through the two books side by side over the next two months. I also got McGraw-Hills PMP Certification Mathematics, it covers all the concepts with exercices and a cdrom with more questions.

But like you will read in numerous posts... Family takes precedence and I put on hold my studies. I restarted part-time in late spring re-reading the PMBOK... mapping the processes... Trying to get an understading of the flow of the inputs and outputs. Doing practice tests on Exam central and elsewhere online.

That's when I bought the Prepcast podcast with the simulator bundle. I listened to the podcasts, did the test and then applied for the certification at the start of June 2016.

I then again took a break from studies because I started a new project at that time. And had to still manage another one that was full steam ahaed in execution towards completion in september.

Finally at the beginning of december I paid the fees and scheduled the exam for january 10th, 2017. Yep! Nothing like a deadline to make you commit yourself to a plan of actions!

It was now or never for me. With the Christmas holidays I had the opportunity to take some time off work and really concentrate on the exam. So from December 23rd to January 9th I spent at least 6 hours a day studying again the PMBOK and Headfirst. I took it slow the 24-25th and the 31-1st. A girl has the right to enjoy herself and her family on those special days! But still practiced my braindump. And after rereading the material, I started to use the simulator. I did 7 of the tests...

PMP Exam 1 88.5%
PMP Exam 2 87%
PMP Exam 3 86.5%
PMP Exam 4 90.5%
PMP Exam 5 89.5%
PMP Exam 6 89%
PMP Exam 7 89%

Everytime I did an exam, I reviewed my answers and there was always a new twist or a new aspect I had not assimilitated. I always research with the PMBOK as well as online for supplemental information. I updated my summary with all sorts of notes and quotes.

I also use the Livefeedback feature to ask a few questions... I always got a prompt reply. And I even helped the quality management of the question bank when I asked more references for an answer about ´deal life cycle'. The question did not pass quality control but slipped through the cracks.

I also did loads of free sample questions on the net. I did the Lehmans ones. But be careful. Always review the answers and research.

I did the free exam on PMSTUDY (84%) in between the Prepcast ones. However, for 2 questions about causes of conflict on a project, it listed an outdated reference (A systems approach to planning, scheduling and controlling Kerzner... But the page 302 did not match the version 10th that I have - as a side remark, its kind of a bible but I got it like 3 years ago before having a full understanding of the pmbok and I put it aside... So i might put it back on the reading pile after a break my brain needs a break!)... I got an answer wrong because I choose personality instead of cost as the least cause of conflict on a project. I contacted their support team. Which said they forwarded the info to the proper team. So hopefully it will get sorted.

Just to say, don't take the answer and memorize it... You have to research and understand the concept.

As for the Exam itself I hear you say? I don't know if all the Prometric centers do this, but the one here in Montreal (Canada) called me last week to confirm the appointment and remind me of the documents I had to bring. I was also able to asked a few questions to which I got helpful answers. Like ´I have a medical bracelet, would I be able to keep it on or remove it like the rest of the jewellery? Yes I could keep it on.´

I suggest you watch the video on the prometric website to see the procedure. Mainly, they verify your id, you checked all your valuables in a locker and then they do the security checks... Check eyeglasses for spy camera, empty pockets and metal detector... Unlike the video... No fingerprint!

The center opened at 7:30, so I got there early... And after waiting for my turn, they gave me a leaflet of paper, pencils, a calculator and I got seated around 8:00am. There was maybe 10 other people taking various test. But the noice did not hinder me. I did not use the ears defender they provide.

So there I was going through the tutorial. No writing on the paper until the exam starts. I was warned before going in. So the reports saying the braindump cannot be done during the tutorial are true. So I put the paper away from me, so far away in fact, that I started doing the exam... And by question 15 or so, I realized I did not do my braindump!

During the last 2-3 simulations, I did the exam without a braindump... So I asked myself, do I take the time? And I was like nahh you know the stuff! So I continued without one.

My strategy was to answer all the questions and marked the ones I was unsure or had no clue (at least 2 I could not remember reading about or listening about in the podcast... And no its now a blur in my mind so I can't remember the content). And then take a break, come back, revise the marked questions and then restart from the beginning.

I finished my first pass and had about 1:15 left on the clock. So I went for a bathroom break and a snack. Had to do the security check out and in. I had about 1:00 left by that point.

I reviewed the marked questions maybe 15 or so (mostly on closing... explaining my MP mark) but changed maybe 2-3 answers, I could not find a notable reason to change the other ones.

From my point of view, the questions on the exam are similar to the ones on the simulator. I had a lot of questions on handling contracts, stakeholders... Calculations maybe 5-6 questions on EVM. All questions are really situational... What to do next, what to do first, what should the PM have done to prevent xyz. A few had nothing to do with the wordy introduction.

I reviewed answers until the clock got to 0. Did the survey clicked end... and then..... CONGRATULATIONS! To which I said litteraly ´YES!' A whispered one so not to disturbed all the others people taking various test but still. ´YES!!!'

My feeling during the exam was that I was going to pass... I just did not know the ranking. So when I got the official result and saw 4 Ps and one MP, I was really happy!

Oh and before I forget... My nerdyness will show here... Before the exam, I gave myself a pep talk... in the ladies bathroom... Thankfully I was alone, I told myself ´You got this!!! You have studied for over a year and did great on the simulations! You can do it!' I then did my superhero pose... Yep you know like the Superman one, hand on the hips, shoulders back and I went in.

So that's it for my feedback. Hope it can help you who are still chasing the dream.

Good luck all

Chantal Têtu, PMP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Khaled Abulfotooh

Passed PMP EXAM on 1st attempt 7 years 3 months ago #9484

• Tajudeen M. Oyedele (PMP)
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Chantal,
Congratulations on your PMP success.

Cheers.

Passed PMP EXAM on 1st attempt 7 years 3 months ago #9488

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Chantal,

Congratulations on passing your PMP exam!

Many thanks for sharing your experience and very detailed lessons learned. Highly appreciated!

I remember you from replying to some of your valuable feedbacks. Like you said, we help you and you help us. PMP® Exam Simulator is a great mutually beneficial tool with a unique Live FeedbackTM feature.

Enjoy your brand new PMP credentials and don’t forget to start taking PDU’s to maintain your hardly earned certificate.

Best of luck in all your future endeavors!
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login