fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: 9 Month Road to PMP

9 Month Road to PMP 7 years 2 months ago #9465

• Thracy Varvoglis
  • Thracy Varvoglis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I decided to pursue my PMP after more than tens of thousands of hours leading,working in and developing countless projects and programs. Total time in grade ( as we service veterans would say) exceeds 40 years. I never thought much about the need to secure the credential of a PMP until I failed the first time in July of 2016 and passed the second time in January of 2017. The absolute feeling of accomplishment for an old guy like me is overwhelming. I would offer several lessons learned about the journey:

1) Do not memorize the questions on the practice exams as the actual exam questions are rarely word for word;
2) READ THE QUESTION- again and again.
3) Look for the very last word / phrase in the question- especially those that say "except" or "is/are not"
4) If you cannot answer the question in the first 30 seconds- Mark it for Review and Come back to it at the end
5) Track your statistics on the PMP Simulator exams. I found it very helpful to use the timed and learning modes of the simulators and the drop down menus that allowed me to select questions that I got wrong . I answered all of the 1800 questions which was extremely helpful in focusing me on areas that I was below proficient
6) It took me a while to appreciate Cornelius's style and the visual aids that accompanied each lesson. I followed the suggested order presented in the Study Guide and I will categorically say that it was and is the right approach.
7) Optional for many are the expert interviews . While they may be of interest, if no visual aids accompany the content, then all you are listening to is a recorded interview. They do not have the same impact.
8) The first time through I had the overwhelming desire to see my score and I "completed" the exam in 2 Hours. I failed. The second time I spent more 3 hours and 30 minutes on the exam -going back to questions that I had marked for further review.
9) Trust your instincts. I am an engineer although the last time I actually practiced was in the mid 1970's. However, my first gut check reaction typically was the right one- but if I dwelled on a question more than 25-30 seconds- I marked it for review.
10) I stopped simulator exams three days before the test and forced myself to think of something else.

9 Month Road to PMP 7 years 2 months ago #9486

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Thracy Varvoglis,

Congratulations on passing your PMP exam! Your overwhelming feeling of accomplishment is completely understood. This is a great achievement no matter how old you are. Many thanks for sharing your experience and lessons learned. Your insights are valuable and highly appreciated. Enjoy your brand new PMP credentials and don’t forget to start taking PDU’s to maintain your hardly earned certificate.

Best of luck in all your future endeavors!
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login