fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 7 years 5 months ago #8861

• Alison Smith
  • Alison Smith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I passed my PMP exam 14th November 2016 (London prometric center)
4MP’s and 1P in executing
At this moment I do not know if I am more relieved of passing or that my intense studying is over !

*STUDYING
I started studying around July and aimed for 1.5 hours weekdays and several hours at the weekend.
For my study book, as well as the PMBOK I purchased: PMP exam simplified (updated January 2016) by Aileen Ellis. I looked at reviews and descriptions of a number of books and this sounded like it suited me the best, over and above Rita’s book (for info Aileen is a R.E.P of PMI)
What I liked about Aileens book :
It is arranged by process group - in contrast to the PMBOK which is arranged by knowledge area
There are ~ 1000 sample questions (and solutions) in the book. Questions after each process and additional review questions at the end of each process group. Also plenty of “Exam tips”
I did not use the full 200 question sample test at the end of the book

I also purchased 3 additional books of Aileens – each with 50 sample questions + solutions
1. How to get every contract calculation question right on the PMP exam
2. How to get every Earned Value question right on the PMP exam
3. How to get every Network diagram question right on the PMP exam
These all helped me understand the concepts. However based on MY test experience I would only recommend someone purchase the Network diagram book

I have to admit to skimming over the PMBOK twice – I did try and read it all, but as many people have commented it is sooo dry to read.

And of course as I am leaving feedback here, I used the PM prepcast. I was very impressed by the content and – if you are reading this Cornelius – you have a very engaging presenting style. I went back and watched the risk and quality lessons a second time, later.

I purchased the prepcast exam simulator also – I truly believe that is what helped me the most when I sat my exam. I completed all 9x 4hr exams.
My biggest tip is that preparation for the exam should include sitting simulated 4 hour exams and reviewing the answers. It really helped to prepare me on the focus required and I learnt such a lot, from reviewing the answers, not just incorrect ones but all the answers

*MY EXAM EXPERIENCE – Emphasis on MY(!!)
1) I knew beforehand the rule change about brain dumps, but I wanted the comfort factor so got mine down to 5 minutes. Content was PMBOK table 3.1, along with some notes added on process flows. I wrote this down when Q1 appeared as per the new policy
2) I did not refer to my brain dump once !!! The questions just did not require me to, it was not because I knew the answer
3) I had spent time learning certain process flows, such as WPD,WPI,WPR / change / deliverable / risk – but no questions related to the flows
4) As many people have already advised the majority of questions are situational based so I was aware of what to expect – and the PM exam simulator prepares you for these
5) Had 4 or 5 EVM questions – but “basic”; Calculate EV, SV, CPI from provided data
6) Had several Network diagram questions, all but 2 I was required to draw a ND in order to answer the question
7) Had a couple of contract questions – but only what type would you use in this situation
8 )Took 3 hrs 45 minutes to complete my test
9) I really had no idea if I had passed, I was certain a small number I had answered correctly, but the exam really does test you on your understanding of the processes and ITTO’s, not so much the flow or your memory, but what document would you refer to / which of these tools should you use

WOW – I have just read this back and realised how long it is! If you are here, thankyou for reading, I hope this helps at least 1 person. Good luck !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP, Gia Fisher, Tarek Darweesh, Chalese Gilmore

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 7 years 5 months ago #8891

• Tajudeen M. Oyedele (PMP)
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Congratulations. It is a helpful review of your lesson learnt.
Cheers.

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 7 years 5 months ago #8894

• Salman Bodla
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Congratulations on passing your exam ! I have couple of questions for you . did you try full mock length exams from on here before going to the actual PMP exam ? 2 - Do the questions ever tell you what process group you are in or you have to figure that out yourself ? Thanks.

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 7 years 5 months ago #8896

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Alison,

Congratulations on passing the exam and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed lessons learned and exam experience. I am sure it will help someone. Best of luck to you as a new PMP!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 7 years 5 months ago #8900

• Alison Smith
  • Alison Smith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Salman
I bought the exam simulator from here and completed all 9 of the 4 hour simulated exams. Last 1 is pure ITTO. The others contain the type of question you may see on the exam.

I had only a couple of questions that began something like : you are in the (executing / whatever) phase of your project ...
On the whole, you had to figure out what process you are in or had just completed.
Some provided a scenario and asked what you would do next, should of done to prevent, what document you could refer to obtain information

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 7 years 5 months ago #8903

• Lotte Hartmann
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Congrats, Alison. I used Lessons Learned from this site before I went to the PMP exam, and I thing it is useful to share this kowledge.

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 7 years 5 months ago #8908

• Kelly Coughlin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
thanks for the feedback. I'm actually looking forward to my exam :-) The Prepcast simulation exams are a fantastic learning tool. It's all I'm using right now to be honest. Congrats on your huge achievement!

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 6 years 11 months ago #10532

• Don
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Alison,
Thanks for the info.. please send me the link to the exam stimulator you purchased?
thanks

Passed PMP exam first try - 14th November 2016 6 years 11 months ago #10533

• Scott Gillard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login