fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP on 1st Attempt- Study Plan below

Passed PMP on 1st Attempt- Study Plan below 7 years 7 months ago #8174

• James Goodman
  • James Goodman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
PMBOK Guide- from PMI
Head First PMP- completed all exercises (really an incredible resource!)
PM PrepCast- watched all lessons (Great Resource, very in depth)
Prep Time - 2 months, 1-2 hours per weekday, 5-6 hours on weekends

The biggest thing to watch out for in the exam is that there are certain topics that are covered in the PMBOK guide and PrepCast material that do NOT appear whatsoever on the exam. More importantly, there are some topics that are covered extensively and in great detail. For this reason, it is important to understand ALL topics as you do not know which one PMI will choose to spend most of the time with for the exam. Some of the 47 processes are barely even acknowledged on the test while others have 20 plus questions. I did not agree with this method of assessment, but it does ensure that a candidate understands the selected topics in great depth. This was my biggest observation of the exam, so I wanted to share this with the community. Additionally, I believe something like 10% of the exam is supposed to be based on PMBOK best practices and the PMI Code of Ethics? I do not believe my particular exam covered these topics to that extent.

Highly recommend the study materials above. The PM PrepCast was great! I could not have passed without it!
Last edit: by Mark Wuenscher, PMP. Reason: changed Prepcast to PM PrepCast

Passed PMP on 1st Attempt- Study Plan below 7 years 7 months ago #8179

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
James,

Congrats on passing the exam and for posting your experience / lessons learned on the forum.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login