fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed on the first attempt

Passed on the first attempt 7 years 8 months ago #7760

• Brian H
  • Brian H's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My plan was initially to read the PMBOK guide and start going through as many questions as I can. I went through the Oliver L. free question banks. After I ran out of free questions that I thought to be quality questions, I purchased a phone app that came with 1200 question bank. After I was finished with the 1200 questions, I set out to find an exam simulator.
After researching and reading reviews, I bought the exam simulator and started taking short quizzes during the workday and took full simulated exam questions on weekends. After about three months, I realized that I was scoring ok on the quizzes and the exams, but the results were not consistent. I then realized that I still had some knowledge gaps. I rescheduled my exam to give me more time to close those knowledge gaps.
I purchased the Rita’s book and the PM PrepCast. In the following two months I read the Rita’s book cover to cover and went through the PM PrepCast lessons on my long commute to work.
My exam was scheduled for Thursday, JUN 30th, so I used my PTO to take the prior three days off. I had 4 untouched exams left in the simulator, so I took an exam every day for three days and went through the questions that I marked wrong and read through the answers and explanations. I was scoring around high 70’s, low 80’s near the end. I went through +4k questions in total since I started this venture.
I called the test center about a week before and got all my questions answered regarding their facility. On the day of the exam I was nervous but also confident at the same time. After I was done with the second pass, I was emotionally tired and exhausted. As I was staring at the screen with mixed emotions, waiting for the result to pop up…There was a big sigh of relief as I saw the word ‘‘Congratulations’’ pop.
Although I used the first 15 intro minutes to write down the processes table and all the formulas, I didn’t even refer to them during the exam. But I think it would be a good practice/confidence gainer to just write them down even though if you don’t refer to them. Good luck.
Last edit: by Mark Wuenscher, PMP.

Passed on the first attempt 7 years 8 months ago #7764

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Brian,
Congratulations on passing the exam and thank you for taking the time to post your experience / lessons learned. I recently passed as well, June 1st, and like you had to initially reschedule when I realized I still had gaps to fill.
Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login