fbpx

Reply: Passed my PMP test on first try

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed my PMP test on first try

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 8 months ago #7753

Kimberly Bortz

Thank you for sharing your lessons learned and congratulations!
7 years 8 months ago #7713

Jon Arbin

I passed my PMP test on July 2nd with 2 Proficient and 3 Moderately Proficient. I studied for about 2.5 months and I used the PM PrepCast and the PM StudyCoach as my two main on-line tools. I had the PMBOK guide and Head First PMP for reading materials. I personally found the PM PrepCast to be an outstanding product and I loved the way Cornelius presented the topics. When I studied, I would read one chapter per week from the PMBOK guide and then watch the PM PrepCast videos. After watching the PM PrepCast videos, I would read the same chapters from my Head First PMP book. I found this method of studying for me was best and helped enforce what I had learned.

As a result of purchasing the PM PrepCast, I was offered an outstanding deal on the PM StudyCoach which I also purchased. I purchased this a few weeks into my studies and found the PM StudyCoach was another valuable tool for studying. The PM StudyCoach provided a high-level overview and Cornelius focused on essential-essentials and highlighted additional resources to enhance my studies. I found this valuable training material.

I purchased the PM Exam Simulator and Formula Guide to aid in my studies. Despite purchasing the PM Exam Simulator, I really didn't start taking any 4 hour tests until the last week of my studies before taking the exam. I ended up taking 5 200 sample question tests and found myself scoring an average of 80 percent. After each test was completed, I would review the answers I got wrong and also looked at the answers I got right to ensure I understood why I got those answers right. I found this an excellent way to prepare for the exam. If I had to do this over, I would have taken more exams during my 2.5 months of studying. When I would study other PMP exam questions I found on-line, I would get frustrated because those questions were asking me about Knowledge Areas I hadn't study. Looking back, I have a better appreciation of why they do this.

The other excellent advice Cornelius provided, and I listened to his advice, was to study Project Integration Management last. After studying the other knowledge areas, and then coming back to Integration management, it really pulled it all together for me. I found Cornelius style of teaching fun, rewarding, and extremly helpful for passing the exam. I don't think I could have passed without his coaching and videos.

When it comes to the PMBOK guide, I must say that is one of the most dryest books I've ever read :ohmy: However, in order to understand the PMI way of project management, it's a necessary step in the process. I read the PMBOK guide one time only. The PM StudyCoach recommended looking over the glossary terms which was also helpful for the exam. I really enjoyed the Head First book exam prep book over Rita's. For me, the Head First book was easier to follow and it provides pictures which helps me learn. The other thing I did for studying was to download the PM PrepCast to CD-ROM from iTunes and listen to those knowledge areas and process groups on my daily commute which is about 2 plus hours per day. As I mentioned earlier, Cornelius' way of teaching and presenting made it enjoyable and fun to learn. I'm still laughing on the Project Risk Management when Cornelius mentions the Risk Register and all the inputs. He covers all the inputs and ends with to include the kitchen sink :)

For the day of the exam, I found the test center easy to locate and the experience pleasant. After signing in and getting stripped searched, I started the test. I ended up not taking any breaks and completing the test with 1 minute left. I did go back and look at 10 marked questions. I found the questions mostly situational and had about 6 formula questions. While taking the actual exam, I had to speed up at one point because I was falling behind the 50 questions per hour mark. As other PMP test takers have noted, some of the questions were different in style and format from the PM Exam Simulator. However, with most, you could normally eliminate two of the possible answers. At about the half-way point in the actual test, I was feeling I wasn't doing so well and found myself getting nervous. I just kept telling myself to do your best and keep plugging away. At the very end, when it asked if I wanted to do the survey, I was like "really, just give me the score". When I clicked no on the survey, and say the words CONGRATULATIONS, it was a great feeling.

I wanted to thank Cornelius for his outstanding materials and his teaching style. He made it easy to learn and boosted my confidence along the way when I needed it most. I also wanted to thank the blog members who helped answer my questions and especially my wife for allowing me to study and focus on getting my PMP test completed. For those who are reading this and are thinking of taking the PMP test, I encourage you to look into the Pm PrepCast and PM StudyCoach as two important tools. I'm now looking forward to earning my PDU's. Thanks again to everyone for their encouragement and support.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login