fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: How Prepared for and passed the PMP

How Prepared for and passed the PMP 7 years 10 months ago #7646

• Timothy Stock
  • Timothy Stock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My experience preparing for the PMP was probably different from most. I changed jobs and states twice in the process and had to delay the exam twice due to these changes. I used a multifaceted approach for the PMP. I have a very strong desire not to take a test twice if I can avoid it. First thing I did was a Master Certificate in project management before even applying to take the PMP. This was done online and was funded almost entirely by GI Bill. It was very useful but not really necessary. I already have an advanced degree and mostly just wanted to use the GI Bill which will not pay for certification courses like the standard PMP boot camp. I used the podcast as a review and more so as a way to keep my head constantly in that mode for the exam. I listened to it at the gym, during lunch, if I ate at my desk, and when in the car if I was driving longer than a hour. The pod cast was good as a different perspective to the material than my instructor led courses online. I use the exam simulator and I mean I USED it. I did every practice exam several times without consideration to the score I received each time. A good simulator and practice exams are not really optional. I used the podcast and a book Called Head first PMP as review anytime I scored below my acceptable threshold in any area or felt like I struggled more that I should have on any particular question.
All in all, I spent 9 months or part time preparation for the exam. If I had not changed positions and moved, I could have easily done all of this and been equally overly prepared in about 10 weeks part time. IN the last two weeks before the exam I studied 4 hours a week and 6 hours every weekend. I easily passed the exam in just over two hours.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login