fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP Exam 1 May 2016 1st Time

Passed PMP Exam 1 May 2016 1st Time 7 years 10 months ago #7499

• O C Amusan
  • O C Amusan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to share the story of how I passed my PMP exam. I have been working as a project coordinator on construction projects in Oil field construction, and industrial projects before I for 3.5 years before I decided to pursue the PMP Exam. I also had other project management experience from manufacturing sector at least 2.5 years. I have a background in mechanical Engineering. I created a profile online, provided all the information required and then had to complete my 35 contact hours. So, I purchased the The PM PrepCast (For PMBOK Guide 5th Edition) & PM Exam Simulator (90-Day Access) Bundle in June 2015. I waited 1 month, and them decided to challenge the exam based on my previous knowledge. I could not get the required pass mark as my knowledge was extremely limited so I decided to read up on some areas, about 1-2 hours of reviews online on terms and concepts that I was not familiar with. The same day, I was able to get my 35 contact hours certificate but it showed my that I had enormous gaps in my knowledge area understanding.

After I got my 35 contact hours, I completed the application and was not audited, therefore, I was able to select a day for my PMP exam. I originally wanted to complete the exam in November 2015 or before 11 Jan 2016 to avoid the changes however, due to work and family commitments, I could not achieve this and kept changing the date. The entire time, I did not use my PM exam simulator access, finally, in Feb 2016, I decided to use the code to force myself to commit, i changed the dates a couple of times until my 90 days almost ran out and I decided to write the exam on May 1st.

To study for the PMP exam, I used the following materials

The PM PrepCast (For PMBOK Guide 5th Edition) - I would listen to the lessons while exercising at the gym on the treadmill at least 1 hour a day for 1 month. I could not cover all the material but it helped to supplement my knowledge gaps for areas where I just did not want to read about. Also it gave practical real life examples that I found made it easier to understand the pmp principle. I mastered the following knowledge areas from precast and never read up on it again..Quality, human resources, communications, Procurement

PM Exam Simulator (90-Day Access) Bundle - I started doing the exam simulator before i finished reading all the materials, I wrote a total of 5 exams, lowest mark was 54% highest mark was 69.5%, see my marks below. Clearly these were low marks compared to other people online that were getting about 75%. I noticed my marks improved the more I studied over a period of 1 month. I found the exams to be slightly hard, but each time after I finished the exams, I reviewed every question I got wrong and this was probably the main way I learned alot. I physically wrote down the principle, explanations for my wrong answers and it make every thing click together for me. Also, the practice exams helped me big time, I always finished them within 3.5 hours but it is exhausting, especially since I last wrote any exam like that 7 years ago in university. Answering 200 questions is not easy at all. I will recommend doing as many exams as possible to help prepare you for the stress of seating for 3 hours. Here is all my exam scores

Exam 5
66%
Exam 4
69.5%
Exam 3
61%
Exam 2
57%
Exam 1
54%

A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge
I bought a hard copy of the book, read it airports, bedtime, flights, I would read the book whenever I could, I actually found the book easy to read,not a dry read like most people said unlike most people that read the book like 3 times, I read it just once over a long period, 9 months. I strongly believe that if I had the patience to read alot, I would have performed better in the practice exams and PMP exam if I had read the book cover to cover at least 2 times. My study approach, has always been different from most people as I was not a firm believer in cramming things reading every single page cause I believed that some things are just logic so would skip areas that I had either previously listened to, or reviewed in my past question papers..or just understood, I must say the the first 4 chapters, where critical. I made sure I understood all the Inputs, outputs, knowledge areas, process, tools and techniques. I memorized all the knowledge areas, and 47 processes and understood how inputs and outputs were linked. I mastered knowledge areas, Project integration and Scope management from the book.

Rita 8th Edition
I read Rita passively, I did not read it cover to cover, I read it ever now and again when I could, I know for a fact that I cover 4 knowledge areas from this book and understood it well, risk, cost, time and human resources

Edward-designer PMP Notes
This is a great resource, I used Edward online notes for days when I was lazy to study and during my lunch break at work, I would just read up on his comments and success stories, here I found motivations and the notices helped me keep my mind on the exam. The notes are wonderful, I recommend them greatly cause it covers the entire PMP book, with quick notes kept me refined.

passionatepm.com
I found there resource as amazing, they way the explained and compared lots of PMP ideas is really great.

Prayer
I prayed to God daily as well for success and strength, that also help ME. as Christianity is my faith.

I did not study as well as most people did, I did not attend any crash course or classes, I also did not score as high as most people do in the exam, 3 below Proficiency and 2 Moderately Proficient were enough on my occasion of the exam to give a pass. I must say, I found the exam more difficult than the practice exams. I was also really tried after the exam, I was nervous, I really wanted to pass, i developed an headache after the exam, I must also add that before the exam, I went in confident, not afraid, I knew I was under prepared compared to levels of other people, I did not let other people comments online on getting high marks in practice exams where I did not do well disturb me, I prayed on my knees before the exam, asked God for success, Ialso believed in what I knew what I read and things I understood also some experience in construction help, especially in procurement contracts e.t.c

I hope this helps others as well. I wish you all the best in your preparations.

Passed PMP Exam 1 May 2016 1st Time 7 years 10 months ago #7537

• uyi e.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Wow! Congratulations! S

So you passed the exam with only 3 below proficient and 2 moderately proficient? Interesting.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login