fbpx

Reply: Practice Makes Perfect

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Practice Makes Perfect

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 11 months ago #10597

Brooks

's Avatar

I don't usually comment but I gotta admit thanks for the post on this amazing oone :D.
7 years 11 months ago #7357

Kevin Nason

Congrats to you!! Nice write up here.
7 years 11 months ago #7346

Tracey South

Congratulations! Love the use of the acrostic. Very acrostic. So relevant.

Tracey
7 years 11 months ago #7337

Joe Nino E. Orapa

's Avatar

"Practice Makes Perfect!"
I posted that quote in my Facebook timeline a few minutes after I passed the PMP exam last 31st March, 2016. Nobody really congratulated me in FB after hours of posting, until my wife posted my Exam Results and commented "Practice Makes Perfect = PMP!" Then, hundreds likes and comments flooded my FB page, from my colleagues, friends, and friends of friends.

Sounds funny, but its meaning is much more deeper for me. Constant practice has been my strategy towards achieving the prestigious PMP certification. Although there may no such thing as 'Perfect' (I even scored 2 Proficient and 3 Moderately Proficient), but it was the untiring efforts, persistent preparation and constant practice that made my journey towards having a PMP perfect. Indeed, passing the exam had made me to really feel 'perfect'. And, I do believe that passing the PMP exam is a matter of constant and persistent PRACTICE.

P - Plan. I really set up a study plan when I decided to take the exam last November 15, 2015. Having a study plan and preparation checklist will condition our minds to the huge tasks involved in preparing for the PMP exam. I develop my simple daily study plan, which includes Reading, Listening to Hot Topics, and practice answering exam questions. If you need a reference, you can use the study plan by Cornelius.

R - Read. There are a lot of readings to be done. From the PMP Preparation Guide, PMBOK, PMP Exam Preparation books and other Project Management Books, is a must. For me, I stick with only one - Rita's. Except for the first 3 chapters, dataflow and some definition of terms, I did not even do hard reading on the PMBOK. Again, understanding the process flow and ITTOs are the most essential for the exam

A - Action. Well, reading alone without exerting an effort to do it is not enough. In my current work, I am lucky to be given the task to develop a Practice Charter and Project Management Plan for our project. Seeing application of theory is crucial to learning.

C - Clear your mind. This simply means focus. I do believe that if you focus on one thing at a time, the mind will be more open to learning and form salient connections between the gap of learning and practice.

T - Teach. There is a saying that if you teach, you will learn twice. I happen to serve in our professional organization and I got an opportunity to be a speaker and facilitator for our Project Planning and Controlling seminar. Coaching others on Project Management will enhance our confidence on the subject.

I - Invest. This may sound 'finance' related. But I did really invest in buying review books, Rita's PMP Exam book, Hot Topics, PM Prepcast and PMP Exam simulator. This has been my greatest investments, as the benefits are way ahead of the costs involved.

C - Create. Tapping our own creativity is so important in any undertakings and every endeavors. During the course of my PMP exam preparation, I have created my own study notes, exam bumps, lessons learned and relationships between and among the project groups and knowledge areas. This has made taking the exam a much more a creative and rewarding experience.

E - Exam. Of course, the best way to prepare of an exam, is to actually testing your self and taking mock exams and quizzes it. The PMP Simulator is really the best source and the closest to the actual PMP exam. We cannot really underestimate the pressure in the actual PMP exam, so conquer it before it conquers you.

I believe that my strategy is much more focus on actual practice... but for me, it works. Practice really makes perfect... and it has defined my journey towards becoming a PMP.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login