fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed Jan. 11, 2016 exam on first try

Passed Jan. 11, 2016 exam on first try 8 years 1 month ago #6965

• Janell Louie
  • Janell Louie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I studied for 4 months and felt that it was just the right amount of time for me. I began by watching each PMP PrepCast section and then reading the corresponding chapter of Head First PMP. After that, I finally started reading the PMBOK. This may seem like a backwards approach, but it really helped me because the PMBOK is so dry. Reading it while already knowing the basic concepts helped me to absorb it better than if I'd just started with the PMBOK.

I also used the PMP Exam Simulator to take dozens of quizzes and full length exams. Taking the full length practice tests will give you a feel for how quickly you need to move through each question without constantly looking at the clock. I found that I could finish the entire exam and go back to review questions I wasn't sure of in 2-1/2 hours, which gave me confidence that I wouldn't run out of time. Also, reading the explanations for all of the questions I got wrong, helped me to determine areas I needed to focus my study reviews on.

I did not memorize all of the ITTOs, but I created a spreadsheet listing all of the ITTOs and the Process Groups associated with them to help me identify patterns where certain ITTOs recurred. I did memorize Table 3.1, the most important ITTOs and the EVM formulas by writing them down every day from scratch for about a month prior to the exam. This enabled me to easily do the brain dump on exam day.

Lastly, if I found certain terms or concepts weren't adequately defined by the PMBOK, Head First PMP or the PrepCast, I surfed the web until I found something that did explain them in a way that made sense to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cecil D'Souza
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login