fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed first try 4P 1 MP....I didn't expect that score!

Passed first try 4P 1 MP....I didn't expect that score! 8 years 3 months ago #6833

• John Pelletier
  • John Pelletier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I'm proud to say that I passed the PMP test on 1/9 and I'm shocked with my score.

I have a full time job(and then some), and my study/prep time took 5 months. I put in at least a couple of hours after work and more on the weekends. I was disciplined in my approach. I put in approximately 20 hours per week. My plan was as follows:

1) Watch at least chapter of PM prepcast every week.
2) Take detailed notes in evernote
3) Read corresponding chapters/quizzes in Rita
4) Repeat 1,2,3 until I went through everything
5) Read PMBOK guide
6) Develop and practice brain dump of formulas and process grids
6) Skim Rita
7) Take 1 full exam simulator test per week for 7 weeks
8) In between tests read up/study on weak areas. Also squeeze in formula practice and flash cards using PM Prepcast materials
9) Final couple of weeks focused on the big picture of hand-offs between processes. I looked for patterns and documented how the processes interfaced. I also increased up my brain dump practice by doing it every day.

My use of the simulation was a huge benefit. I started off with scores in the low 70's and gradually increased to high 70's. I was disappointed in my progress because I expected my scores to improve faster. I wanted to score above 80. I thought I was going to break 80 with my last test, which was one week before my real exam. I was devastated when I scored one of my all time lowest scores. I figured I was in trouble, big trouble. I tried to stay positive and keep my face in the books/internet/etc.

I signed up for a "dry run" with my testing facility. Basically they walk you through the check-in process and you're able to to take the tutorial. Well worth the $30.

On the day of the exam I extremely nervous and not very confident. My fallback was that I did all that I could do - I couldn't have put in more time or effort, so whatever happens..happens. I went to the facility an hour early and they let me start. I began with my brain dump but was shaking so much I was afraid I wasn't go be able to read my writing. I marked the first 5 questions because I had no idea what the answer was, the next 10 or so weren't much easier. I tried to calm myself, be positive, and march on. Eventually I settled in. I took a couple of minutes break on the hour, stretch, snack, and loosen up. By the end of the exam I started to think...."maybe I'm going to pass this thing", but I needed to keep my guard up. When I went back to review the marked answers the first 5 that I had no clue on 3 hours earlier were easier, which goes to show how much your nerves can play on your mind strength. I've read it out here so often...STAY CALM....they were right.

I can't describe how good I felt when the screen flashed CONGRATULATIONS to me, and I can't tell you how shocked I was to see 4P 1MP. I did that??

Thanks to everyone on the forums and PM Prepcast. This was a fantastic experience.

Until next time...
John
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login