fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP Exam on January 7, 2016 1st Try, 3 month prep

Passed PMP Exam on January 7, 2016 1st Try, 3 month prep 8 years 3 months ago #6819

• Michelle Proctor
  • Michelle Proctor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I passed the PMP Exam! I was so relieved to see PASSED at the end of the exam and survey. Even though I felt like I had done a thorough preparation, I have heard that many people have failed. This is a hard test. It's hard because you HAVE to study.

My Timeline & Approach
I purchased The PM Prepcast Thanksgiving week 2015 and took the exam on January 7 before it changed. I took a week off at Christmas. Otherwise, I studied 3-4 hours per day (including webinars). I watched all 35 hours of webinars first in order to complete my application reqs. The sample questions at the end of each webinar were helpful, but if I had it to do over, I would use the Simulator Quizzes after each of the webinar process groups were finished. Compressing your study schedule is more painful, but I feel that you retain the material better and are in better "testing shape" than if you spread it out over a year.

After completing the 35 hours of webinars, I moved on to the Simulator. I took two 50 question quizzes (Random) to gauge where I was; I scored 68% on both. At this point, I hadn't ready any of the PMBOK Guide. So, I read the PMBOK Chapter on each of the Process Groups and then took a 25 or 50 question quiz on each process group. I studied each incorrect answer to reduce mistakes. This was a very effective strategy. I answered 350 quiz questions before taking my first full 200 question exam. I took 3 full practice exams, scoring 83.5, 84.5, 85%, scoring Proficient in 1 or 2 groups and Moderately Proficient in 3-4 groups.

Materials Used
PMBOK Guide 5th edition & The PM Prepcast & Exam Simulator
Reading this forum on people's experience and preparation methods was helpful to me in devising a study plan (thanks)

The Exam
I thought the real exam was harder than the Simulator exams that I had taken, maybe because I was nervous. I was caught off guard by the constant use of "What is the next best thing to do?" in the situational questions on the real exam. I hadn't seen this phrasing on the Simulator and I had tended to get those tricky questions wrong. They made me nervous. I was thankful for the EVM formula questions b/c I knew those were correct.

I made it through all 200 questions to go with an hour left (which was on pace with how I had progressed through the Simulator exams). I took a quick 5 minute break and came back to review the 30+ questions I had marked. I ended up changing my answers to many of these marked questions. I completed the test with less than 10 minutes remaining. I passed with a Proficient in every process group. I went home immediately and updated my resume, LinkedIn profile and FB account, LOL.

The Testing Facility
The Prometric testing office would not let us have headphones, drinks, water, a watch or any of our personal belongings. I read different rules from other posters, so I just wanted to share my experience. They called the day before my exam to confirm and I was able to learn these rules beforehand or else I would have been surprised. But, I later found the same information in the PMI PMP Handbook.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login