fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: How I Passed My PMP? A Guide for those who failed PMP more than once

How I Passed My PMP? A Guide for those who failed PMP more than once 8 years 2 months ago #6807

• Muhammad Zeeshan
  • Muhammad  Zeeshan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been a distracted soul all my life, didn’t really understand the purpose and like millions out there couldn’t figure out what is for me in this life. Though I have struggled all my life finding answers, through internet research, visiting libraries, reading books of different kinds, until I came across PMIs PMP. I work in Operations Department in a Transportation company, and had delivered several projects, working with team, collaborated oversees staff, and suppliers, but didn’t really looked into certifications until someone referred me PMP.
Passing PMP became one of my dreams, I got to admit that I attempted exam 04 times, which includes 01 CAPM exam, which I passed at my first attempt though after failing PMP twice. Why I pursued CAPM?, After failing PMP twice in a row I was sure that PMP is a no go for me, so in order to come out clean from what I had started 01 year back and the time, energy, and indeed the cost of books, boot camp, exams and re-registration fees, I thought to go for CAMP instead, as most of my coworkers knew for about an year that I was pursuing for PMP, and have not been able to succeed would have put me into state of embarrassment.
So I passed CAPM, it took me about 10 days to revise my PMP notes, which I had prepared for my PMP exams and attempted at least 3,000 questions before PMP exam. CAPM is for the people who have little background in Project management. Exam is comparing to PMP is same curriculum, but its way easier than PMP. I finished one hour ahead of exam end time.

Lessons Learned From CAPM Exam
• Read a study guide which is easy to understand & it emphasis is CAPM more than PMP (I used Joseph Phillips CAPM/PMP)
• Read PMBOK guide (PMBOK guide will make much sense for you now)
• Go back to your CAPM study guide & revise until you sure of all topics are fully understood and memorized.
• CAPM exam questions are straight forward, and there are questions directly referring to ITTOs, so understand them well as well as memorize the ones you have difficulty with.
My wife drove me back home from Prometric Center. I was happy to achieve CAPM, and felt a sense of relief that I am now certified CAPM, while driving home updated my LinkedIn profile with CAPM capitalizing all letters next to my name, received few comments & likes. It was a good day!
Later at night, I realized that I didn’t quite fulfil what I really dreamed for.
I was craving for something and I knew it deep down within myself what it was, it was indeed PMP. I couldn’t resist and started to fill out the application, and got that approved in few days.
One of my friends referred me for Kim Heldman PMP Study Guide.
I mostly purchase books thru amazon on kindle or pdf formats, as I am not based in U.S so its saves me from hefty shipping costs. Reading from devices is very common now a days but it just does not cut it. For my last 02 attempts for PMP, my study notes were from Rita & PMBOK. I took all notes on Ms. Word, (which I believe is not one of the preferred methods I like anymore.) There is no doubt both books are well crafted and best way to prepare for exams, but I liked Kim Heldman better. Kim has done a very good job aligning processes & knowledge areas as they occur in PMBOK guide, so for the people who doesn’t have previous knowledge about project management & knowledge areas, they will be more comfortable with Kim. (I again encourage everyone who is preparing for both CAPM and PMP to study PMBOK guide at least once. PMP students should consider studying it more than once.)

I bought original book from nearby store and used that book as my primary source for PMP studies. At the end of each chapter there are real world examples for better understanding of subject matter with applied approach. I used a pencil to mark important areas, and took small notes. For revision I used the same book over and over again, that approach developed mind mapping of process groups and helped me to memorize quite a lot of the material.
I encourage all out there to prepare PMP exam with a book they find it easy for understanding and use that as your notes to help you better understand, mind map, memorize & avoid risking to omit points we may miss while taking notes.
Always try to get an original book, reading in computer is very difficult as well as Ms Word notes are flat papers which do not support in memorizing as much as hand written notes or original books itself.
Lessons Learned for PMP exam
• Buy an original printed version of easy study guide (Kim Heldman)
• Study cover to cover, mark, highlight areas, and take small notes
• Read PmBok cover to cover
• Prepare brain dump sheets for the topics you find hard to memorize
Review them everyday
• Make 01 original book as your primary source of notes and study guide which you will do revision from multiple times.
• Refer to Rita’s Process chart (very helpful, few questions are always from there)
• Do Rita, Kim Heldman practice questions
• Do Earned value questions (Aileen Ellis) from several sources, memorize formulas and in your 15 minutes of tutorial time write all formulas on scrap paper given to you in exam.
Key to success in exam is focus, practice, practice, revision, revision and revision and more revision.
“Among Dream & achievements there is only one thing called Action”
The quality of your life is the quality of your communication
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login