fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed My PMP Exam - My Study Plan & Lessoned Learned

Passed My PMP Exam - My Study Plan & Lessoned Learned 8 years 4 months ago #6595

• Tyler Messa
  • Tyler Messa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Passed my PMP exam today on my first attempt today. My final score was 4MPs and 1P – nothing to crow about, but I’m happy with it. It took me approximately six weeks to prepare for the exam. I’m a freelancer working on a very small project, so I had a lot of time to study during the day.
I watched each of the PM Prepcast videos and then relied heavily on Rita Mulcahy’s book. Once I had read through Rita’s book twice, I started to spend most of my time on the exam simulator. I would typically take 50-100 question quizzes and then study up on the areas where I struggled. Once my scores on both the quizzes and full length exams scored consistently in low 80s, I formally registered for the test.

I probably spent two weeks taking tests, then reviewing materials to try and improve my understanding.

I found the questions on the PM Exam Simulator to be harder than those on the test, but I found that the official test questions were often poorly worded, which added a degree of difficulty I wasn’t expecting. Luckily I was able to draw off what I learned from Cornelius and Rita to work my through those questions.

I was surprised by the almost complete at total lack of ITTO questions on my exam, although they were obsessed with procurement questions.
As for a brain dump; I cannot recommend memorizing all the equations. Having them all written down as an easy reference, made navigating all the cost questions a breeze. I also memorized the formulas for float and activity durations on network diagrams. Happy I did too, as I got a number of questions where I used them.

If I could do one thing differently, it would have been to take more exams from different sources. I think this would have better prepared me for the slight different question format on the test.

I cannot recommend the PM PrepCast and Exam Simulator enough. Thanks to Cornelius and OSP for helping me achieve my PMP certification.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login