fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: I passed - here are my thoughts on study and exam.

I passed - here are my thoughts on study and exam. 8 years 5 months ago #6462

• Alastair Schwier
  • Alastair Schwier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I wrote the exam Nov 10th 2015 and passed it first time. I essentially studies 2 months This is what I did:
• Read Rita’s book –1 chapter per day took light notes (2-3 pages per chapter) did the practice tests and reviewed answers I got wrong. It took me 2 weeks ~ 3-4 hours per day.
• Then I read Kim Heldmans book – very lightly – just read through it to get a different perspective. I felt the questions were harder at the each of each chapter in this book and I preferred Rita’s guide. I did this over about a week.
• Then I signed up for the PM precast (the cheapest option with no exam simulator) I read a chapter of the PMBOK guide then watch the prepcast integration videos. I took very detailed notes and essentially wrote my own ‘cheat sheets’ I spent 8 hours a day doing this over 2 weeks. Yes I read the whole book.
• I submitted my application to PMI, which took 4 days and scheduled myself to write the exam 12 days later (PMI confirmed app on the 29th, I booked the exam for the 10th)
• During that 12 days I read Crowes book and did his practice tests, I did the downloadable 175 question and online 75 question Oliver Lehmann exams and scored 82% & 78% I re-did all if Rita’s practice tests and generally scored from 72% to about 90% Crow’s book was very good – but summary level. I felt his questions were a little too easy
• I did every free practice test I could find on the internet and generally just filled in the gaps.
My thoughts on the exam: - I went in to it very confident.
• Once I started if I didn’t know the answer within about 20 seconds I marked the question and skipped it. After the first 75 questions I took a break for 5 minutes. Then after 150 questions I took another break. That gave me 2 hours left to finish the final 50 questions and review all the skipped questions (I skipped about 60 of them) – If in doubt just mark the question – even if you are 95% sure – mark it anyways.
• I then did few passes of the skipped questions – I to 60 and narrowed it down to 40, then to 20 then to about 10 – the final 5-10 I just guessed. When I really had to think about it I would write down A, B, C, D for each question and then cross off each one as I decided it was not likely the answer. Usually you can cross of 2 quickly. I ended with about 25 minutes left to spare.
• I passed with 4 proficient and 1 moderately proficient in closing - it took about 1-2 minutes to pop up the score after the test ended - It felt like an eternity.
• I felt the exam was very hard. There was a point where I skipped about 15 of 20 questions and by question 160 or so I felt maybe I would fail – but I just had no idea. So don’t get discouraged. I didn’t feel that good but scored well in the end.
• I thought that every question in the exam was suitably covered in the PMBOK guide. Maybe I was lucky, but I don’t understand people who say there is material on the test that is outside of the PMBOK. I didn’t experience that. I felt it was 99.99999% PMBOK based.
• The questions were short – direct and to the point – none of this trying to be funny or playing games or trying to trick you business. I liked that.
• Some say you get easy, medium and hard questions – I agree with that. Probably equal on each - but I felt the math questions were all easy
• Most questions you need to understand what your next step should be - or what you should have done - its not easy the videos are right - you really have to understand what the PMBOK is trying to get across. You don’t need to memorize the ITTOs (does not hurt) but you should understand their patterns – understand most planning requires expert judgement and meetings and control processes usually have the same 5 outputs, understand what can go wrong if you forget to do something or forget a process.
• Be careful of online practice exams – I found almost all of them to be too easy, but they were good at helping direct me to where I was weak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Rosa, Ahmed Almalky

I passed - here are my thoughts on study and exam. 8 years 5 months ago #6469

• Tracey South
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Congrats Alastair! Thank you for such a thorough set of lessons-learned.

Tracey
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Rosa
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login