fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Preparation - Lessons Learnt

PMP Preparation - Lessons Learnt 8 years 6 months ago #6230

• Vivek Kaul
  • Vivek Kaul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
1.) Cleared the PMP exam in the 1st attempt.
2.) I was winding down on an assignment and a job, so before taking on something new thought of using the time to write this test.
3.) Did a focused study of 9 continuous weeks without any interruptions
4.) Kept it simple and in this order - (PMBOK - start to end in the 1st 3 weeks; PrepCast - as per the study instructions in the next 3 weeks; 9 Simulator tests in the last 3 weeks)
5.) After sitting for a test, I would review the questions where I went wrong and would read up a little more either from the internet or from some reference book (in some cases I would go back to the prepcast and the PMBOK as well)
6.) I used my tried and tested methods for memorizing the knowledge areas and process groups. I knew these by heart. Also had all of the formulas on a print out pinned up on the wall just in front of my reading desk. Used to mentally go over these every morning or before every test.
7.) For some process areas like Quality, HR, Communications, Stakeholder, I decided to pay more attention at the inputs, tools and outputs.
8.) I visited the test center a week before the test and spoke to the folks, looked at the surroundings just to be mentally prepared in case any construction work was in progress which could be a possible disturbance.
9.) I took a 5 minute break after the first 2 hrs and used the washroom and had a banana & stretched a little. That helped me to re-energize.
My short and sweet advice - keep it simple but the little that you do, should be thorough - for instance, if you are reading up on some topic from the PMBOK guide or listening to the prepcast, refer to external help (internet, workbooks etc.) only for those topics where you feel insecure or uncertain.

PMP Preparation - Lessons Learnt 8 years 5 months ago #6244

• Tracey South
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Congratulations Vivek! You are fortunate to be able to dedicate so much time to your study plan. Sounds like it paid off. Enjoy your new designation.

Tracey
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login