fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP Exam on 19 March - first attempt

Passed PMP Exam on 19 March - first attempt 9 years 11 months ago #4115

• Leslie Craw
  • Leslie Craw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I passed the exam on the first try. It was a challenging exam, I'm glad that I gave as much study time and effort as I did. Over a period of 2.5 months, I did the following:

1) I needed the 35 credit hours, so I took the PM Prepcast. It was excellent and comprehensive - I steadily did about an hour a day until I finished all the lessons (took about 2 months). I took notes throughout all the lessons, and then referred back to them, but in a casual way. I didn't study them like crazy, I took the approach that just writing things down was helping me to cement the ideas and thoughts, and then referred back to them as I had time before the test.

2) I used Andy Crowe's "The PMP Exam: How to Pass the PMP on your first Try" extensively - easy and enjoyable to read, great test prep questions. I did NOT read the PMBOK cover to back, I just couldn't read more than a page at a time, it was too dry. So, just used it for reference/clarification purposes. I did try to study the glossary as much as I could.

3) I used the PM Prepcast Exam Simulator (free and paid) - this was excellent and prepared me for the actual test situation. I took 6 of the 9 tests (with the paid subscription).

4) I used the Andy Crowe CD set in the car, it's called, "Conversations on the PMP Exam" - this was also excellent, and perfect for the daily commute. I listened to these over and over (maybe 4 times total), and got more information each time I listened to it. You couldn't pass the test with just these CDs, but they are a great compliment to your study materials.

5) I got the Andy Crowe "Quick Reference Guide", a laminated set of sheets with the main points on it. It gave me something quick to review when I had time, and I keep it on my desk now, even after passing the test.

As many have said already, it is definitely NOT necessary to memorize the ITTOs, I definitely did not. I did however, make sure that I knew the important ITTOs from many of the processes. This is where Andy Crowe's main book is very handy - he doesn't list them all for each process, he helps you pick out what might be asked on the exam.

I had many more questions on EVM than I expected, but that was good since I felt confident in this area and had practiced these types of problems pretty extensively.

Finally, I will say that I found that I went much slower on the real exam, than I did on any of my simulated 4 hour exams. This surprised and worried me during the real exam, but I'm not sure how I could have practiced any differently. I think just knowing that I might be slower in that stressful situation, and that it's ok, since I could do the simulated ones in under 3 hours, would be good to know. Also, do not estimate they difficulty of the questions, they are as hard, and maybe even a little harder (due to the stress of it being the real exam) than the simulated 4 hours tests you will find.

Thank you so much to Cornelius and PM Prepcast for providing such an affordable and comprehensive set of resources. I appreciated the lessons, tests, newsletters, formula guides, forums (and for answering my posted question), etc... it was all extremely helpful, I felt like I had a quide all along the way!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login