fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP on first attempt

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP on first attempt

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 1 month ago #4022

BIJIT SINGHA

Won the most awaited Congratulations from PMI on Feb 01! Passed the Exam with 4 Ps and 1 M!

My exam was in the afternoon from 12:30 pm. I was much tensed before start of exam but once exam started suddenly my attitude got changed and started feeling as if I was on a marathon and my goal is just 4hrs away. I started relishing my goal and continued exam at slow & steady pace. From simulator experience I had learned better don’t plan for breaks, let normal course of actions happen. I had to take a biological break after completing 70 questions. Used to check progress from time to time and maintaining steady pace. Towards the end I started feeling hungry but checked I could carry on. When around 30 questions were remaining I thought not much time left so increased the speed and finished all question when 9 min was remaining and revised the question that were marked & changed answer hardly for a question.

Significant numbers of formula questions were asked and few of them with some tweaking. Varieties of questions covered in Formula Guide by Cornelius had prepared me well to manage them.

Thankful to Guru Cornelius for teaching, coaching and making this happen. I have followed study plan suggested in Prep Cast. But I could not fit a study buddy in my plan though I had enrolled for local PMI chapter along with PMI membership on my first day first activity in the journey. Cornelius’s study plan, teachings, and coaching are a Sure Success Mantra.

My study package included Cornelius’ PM PrepCast, Formula Guide, and Exam Simulator, Rita’s book and Exam Simulator, and my own Flash cards. Used two exam simulators to practice more and get second opinion/approach of exam.

First step for me was to decide and get determined in mid Oct 2013 to get PMP certified ASAP. A friend suggested me about Rita’s book and PrepCast and PMI membership. Same day took membership for PMI, local chapter, bought Rita’s book and couple of days later bought PrepCast package.

First week read PMBOK & Rita’s book which did not go well with me. Next four weeks listened to the PrepCast and got 35 hrs contact hours. Next one week prepared and submitted application to PMI. Application was approved in less than a week. Next couple of days prepared the study plan and decided exam date and registered for exam. Next 6 weeks studied PMBOK & Rita’s book in tandem along with occasional reference to PrepCast for third opinion, practiced Formula guide, and listened to PrepCast while driving. Last three weeks Practice Review Practise Review Practise Review on Exam Simulators – finished 8 exams of Cornelius’ simulator; skipped ITTO one due to time constraint and two exams of Rita’s simulator. On average I took 3.5 hrs for exam and 4 hrs for review all questions including correct ones.

Used to track, review, and adjust study plan every week. My initial estimate turned out to be wrong so I had to crash the activities by adding overtime by giving up social life, taking all (100%) time off available from office.

Brian dumps used – Formulae for network diagrams, KA-process group table, use of EEF/OPA/Expert Judgment/Meeting/Analytical techniques.

Flash cards prepared – definition of all processes, PM plans including subsidiary plans, key project documents, Code of ethics, lessons learned from all simulator exams, use of T&T, and use of each input to a process (why), and outputs of each of the processes.
Initially I avoided memorizing ITTOs and was doing well, but later when wanted to check how well I was doing I ended up creating flash card first for T&T, then for outputs, and at last on night before the exam final flash card for outputs. With this approach I discovered gaps in my understanding of ITTOs and filled the gaps.

What I would do separately if I do again? I would prefer not to sacrifice social life and risk of taking full quota time off from office and set a time line of 5 months in stead of 3.5 months this time; 1 month PrepCast, 2.5 months PMBOK & Prep Book, and last month & a half for Practice Review Practice Review on simulator.

Good luck to all PMP aspirants and God Bless All!

Thanks Once again to Cornelius

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login