fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Studying using PMP Prepcast

Studying using PMP Prepcast 10 years 5 months ago #3823

• Scott Gillard
  • Scott Gillard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
While I am still studying for my exam, I wanted to share something I learned later that I wish I had learned weeks ago with regards to The PM PrepCast.

I first started my studies with only the PMBOK guide. After reading the first chapter several times, I was completely at a loss for retaining the information. Then I focused on going through The PM PrepCast videos and my PMBOK Guide has been sitting on my desk. My thought was I'd re-attempt to read it after the videos.

During the Human Resource section I wanted to review something that was mentioned in the PM PrepCast against the PMBOK guide. Trying to find the topic, I still had the Prepcast running at the same time. I noticed something that, for me, was a light bulb that went off. You can almost follow the PMBOK guide page for page along with the PM PrepCast. There's times Cornelius almost says the sentence verbatim. So, you ask.. "what's the point? I might as well read the PMBOK guide then..."

Specifically, last night I went through the Control Risks module on the Prepcast. It's 6 pages in the PMBOK guide. I could read it in about 15 minutes and most of it would be out of my brain just as fast. Risk Assessment and Risk Audits are a paragraph each in the guide (pg 351). In the PM PrepCast they review them. Then they have a slide that compares the two and gives a better overview of each one so you can easily understand how each one would be used in what type of scenario.

Being that I can follow along in the actual guide and highlight key points, or fill in the empty spots on the pages with my own notes, I have now compiled what was two separate reference materials (my notebook and the PMBOK Guide) into one relational book for my review later. It's like having an expert standing over your shoulder while you read the PMBOK Guide and saying.. "Okay.. Here's what that paragraph means and here is the key take away from that sentence. Not sure you get it? Okay. Here lets look at it this way on this slide in more detail. Got it? Great. Now onto the next paragraph."

The PM PrepCast has so much more that just this one concept. I highly recommend it for many reasons. But this epiphany for me changed my entire understanding on how to grasp the PMBOK in a whole new way. I wish I knew this back in Chapter 1. Which is why I'm sharing it with you.

Best of luck on your studies!
Community Moderator
Last edit: by Yolanda Mabutas.

Studying using PMP Prepcast 10 years 4 months ago #3845

• Lylie King
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Scott, thank you for sharing your insights it is very encouraging.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login