fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP exam 9/10/13

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP exam 9/10/13

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 7 months ago #3767

William Imhof

Very happy man now. As for some insight:

Read Andy Crowe's 'How to pass on your first try' (this was for the PMBOK v4 as I began studying when it was the latest (study time was off/on for about 4 months). Unfortunately I did not feel ready in time). Very good book for my learning style.
Read over sections of the PMBOK v5 book, as well as some of the appendixes, glossary, code of ethics (one read through the code should be enough for anyone).
Tried to get an updated Andy Crowe book but to this day, the last printing still had errors in it so I did not purchase it. With that said, I got Rita's book. Rita's is more of a course than a study guide however, I was able to modify it to my needs. What I mean by that, is that I would read over sections to gather more information and made sure I read all the tips. I did not use their process chart as it was highly confusing (note: if you started with Rita's book, you might like it).
Used the PM-prepcast exam/quiz product; took 2 complete tests and 14 quizzes. I wanted to take more tests but at 4hours per sitting, it's time consuming. The quizzes were great as you can focus them as you wish (i.e. only from a particular group or random); I found learning mode the best for me. Scores on the full test were in the 70's and the quizzes were 70-90. This is when I put the stake in the ground and set up the test for the following week.

So now, on to exam day. Got to the site 40 min prior, had to leave everything but my ID in a small locker, they checked pockets, roll up pant leg to see socks, wave body with metal detector and then in you go. Cameras everywhere and the monitors would patrol the inside every so often. All in all no big deal except, if I left the room for a break, you could not go to your locker (thus no snacks for me).
Did part of the tutorial but more focused on creating my brain dump sheet. Recreated the process chart and formulas. The process chart for me helped with about 10% of the questions but the formulas was very helpful. Most of the formula questions were pretty straightforward but I did have a few that relied on the variations of the EAC (know all of the formats and when to use). Some questions would give you say, CPI and EV and you had to figure out AC and then take that AC and use it in another formula to answer the question.
Another thing to keep in mind when looking at the situational questions is that the PM is usually supposed to do something as he is in charge (i.e. as other books have mentioned, you don't escalate the problem, you make the decision). What I found myself doing every now and then (when a little stumped on BEST answer), was to repeat one of the answer choices to myself in the classic Batman voice (think of when he would say, 'Quick Robin, to the bat cave!'), to see if the answer actually did anything. An example (no not from the test) would be when a choice was 'update the project plan'; I would say it in the 'Quick, let's update the project plan!' which immediately told me that I hadn't done the correct choice. Sounds silly but it worked for me.
End of test routine - it's awful. First you either end the test or let time expire (I let it expire while reviewing questions). Then it makes you wait 10-15 seconds, and now for a survey (think it was 9 questions all about how you thought the test site was, blah). I answered them although rather slowly and with each answer knew I was getting close to revealing my score. Finished the survey, then waited another 15 seconds before seeing the result.
Hopefully this helps out some of you, good luck.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login