fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Finally - I am a PMP... / Lesson learned...

Finally - I am a PMP... / Lesson learned... 10 years 8 months ago #3628

• Gavin Poulsom
  • Gavin Poulsom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK here is a summary of my arguably lengthy journey that ended up with the PMP certification...

I started studying the PMP syllabus back in October 2011. Initially I went to a 5 day boot-camp and was rather naive about the whole affair, as I was already a registered Prince 2 practitioner, I thought (incorrectly) that the PMP would just be an 'Americanised' extension of the Prince 2 project methodology. How wrong was I?

Cut to the chase I failed the exam first time around. This was a big shock for me and it quickly dawned that the PMP would not be a walk in the park.

Real world constraints aside I adopted the following strategy to pass the PMP exam:

Always had the 'Prepcast' to hand. Especially on longer car journeys (Will I ever get that intro tune out of my head)?
Read Rita's book - although I found this quite patronising. It's good but...
Read 'Head First' PMP book cover to cover - there are a few errata in this so be careful. I would consider this a good 'holiday read'...
Read the PMBok several times - It still has the capability to pack a few surprises.

**Don't over subscribe to alternative 'pass your PMP' exam tools such as are available on Itunes / Iphone - a lot of these just remained dormant on the phone. For me - The most utilised and best value for money was the PMP Exam trainer by DynamicApps GmbH - again this had a huge database of questions and they were close to the real world versions / it tracked your progress.

Then for the final exam:
I booked the exam 6 months in advance - Then...
A few weeks before the exam - I subscribed to 'PMPerfect.com' - this was really beneficial - The site plots your progress over 21 tests. Questions were very close to real world. I clocked well over a thousand sample questions in the 10 days leading up to the exam.
The day before the exam I concentrated learning on the 'brain dump' / 42 processes / EV formulas / Six Sigma / Estimates all sorts of other variables. The brain dump (pencil to paper for the 15min before the actual exam) proved most beneficial to me - especially mapping out the 42 processes. As an easy reference point - It saved a lot of time for me during the exam itself.
The night before the exam I relaxed and tried not to think about PMP.
For the exam itself I chose the afternoon slot - no real reason behind this other than had more time to compose myself.
During the exam I took 3 breaks. For the record I had a can of Monster Energy drink, and some dry roasted peanuts to hand on top of my allocated locker - you are not allowed to access your locker or even take your watch into the exam - only you / your apparel and your ID!
Finished the exam around the 3hr 15min mark and then reviewed my marked questions.
Everything seemed fair - the only area I kept getting confused on was some of the HR stuff (confronting / compromising / smoothing etc) and which Risk strategy was suitable - avoid / transfer / mitigate etc.
The formula questions were straight forward enough BUT be aware you have to reverse engineer a lot of the questions to work out the EV - change side / change sign perhaps?

Clicking the end exam / filling in the feedback / then waiting for the result is the worst part of the overall experience...

Good luck! :)
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login