fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed - Nov 17th

Passed - Nov 17th 12 years 5 months ago #2615

• Prashant Wakode
  • Prashant Wakode's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone
Glad to report that I passed the PMP in first attempt after 2.5 months of preparation.. and feeling much better now.
Scored Proficient in ALL areas, & Moderately Proficient in Closing .
This and other forums already have good info on what materials to use and how to study etc..so I will not re-hash it all.
I have the following suggestions for the Prepcast makers and folks currently studying for PMP :
Prepcast
The Prepcast is good.. however it more useful if you have an iPod, and can listen to it on the go. For folks like me who just have a regular MP3, could not use it as much I would have liked. I wish they offered the MP3 versions of everything. I could barely 'watch' 30% of it all on my laptop.. and once I got the 35 contact hrs cert (after the mandatory 2 weeks).. I was unable to find time to return to it.
The PMP Exam Simulator
It is good, except that it did hang on me after a 4 hr exam and its 'resume after crash' did not work for me. In terms of the content it covers -it was good. However I suggest that other free sample exams online should also be attempted.
Actual PMP exam was as below:
- Took me ALL of 4 hrs (without a single break & had absolutely no time to review any marked questions at all). Contrary to my expectation.. quite a few qns were wordy, and it was not like it had insignificant info.. so I still had to read thru it all. I started cautiously..realizing that the questions were bit tricky.. so I had to read them carefully, ensuring I read all options. In many cases, none of the choices were obviously wrong, so I found I had to really be careful. knew right from the end of the first hr that I was running behind by about 10 mins.. and would not have time for any breaks. Fortunately I wasnt planning on taking any break anyway.. though I had to control my urge for a bio break. The exam center restrooms were a few hundred feet away.. and even a quick break would have cost me atleast 5 valuable mins. I am quite amazed how other folks are able to finish the exam in just 2.5 to 3 hrs. I was even maintaining a manual tally of high priority questions I would like to re-vist.. but 2 hrs into the exam, I realized I will never have time to use it.. so I stopped marking questions for review
- Be careful when creating your dumpsheet before the exam. I started off creating one even before starting the tutorial.. and didnt look up at the screen at all.. when I finally glanced up.. I realized there was a timer which had a big Red warning that the exam would end if I didnt start the tutorial within the next 30 secs.. obviously I pounced on the button to prevent disaster ! In the tutorial the calc functions still didnt explain how to do the x^y function (which may be needed in PV calc), and the calc on the exam didnt have the x^y function. Luckily I didnt get any question requiring it.
- The review function on the actual exam wasnt so user friendly(it was legend based and the listing was very crammed), so I was afraid to leave the network diag questions (which I got 3 of) for the end..for fear that I would not be able to return to it..so my original plan of keeping them for the end had to be improvised. Also I knew I was running late, and would probably not have time for review..so I figured it was best to tackle them while I was on the question..rather than hunting for them later in a pressure situation.
- Another noteworthy aspect was that I don't recall seeing any Code of conduct/prof resp questions at all.. yes..not even one. And I am glad about it.. coz they can be really tricky.
- Almost all questions were situation based - so the trick is to map it to the appropriate process and answer accordingly. Also I saw quite a few ITTO based questions (more than just 8 to 10 as per Rita's book). Saw almost no defination based questions.. and was again glad - coz I never really got thru reading the PMBOK glossary

Hope above helps to those preparing ! All the best
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login