fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Re:Denrael Snossel - Extensive review

Re:Denrael Snossel - Extensive review 11 years 10 months ago #2815

• Imraan H
  • Imraan H's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Excellent review Danrael. I really do appreciate it.

Two quick questions:

1. I just started reading the PMBOK book and it's so dry that it's actually painful to go through. I think the Prep Cast and Rita's book will be more helpful but the PMBOK book is just a pain to get through, the material is so dry, not engaging and you get no sense of what's important to learn/ memorize versus just read. Mind you, I'm only on the fourth chapter but I wanted to know your experience with the PMBOK book and whether I'm way off base.

2. I have been a Marketing Project Manager for 5 years now but this isn't exactly a fully fledged PM role - but it touches several facets of the PM responsibilities within a Marketing realm. Having said that, I want to branch out into PM roles in other industries - one key incentive is that I have friends in PM technical roles/companies and the salaries are substantially higher than that of a PM in a marketing role/organization. My fear is that I never apply to such roles because I feel that I lack the technical background as they have engineering or IT degrees while mine was in business. So with that in mind, I didn't think I could pursue PM technical roles since I needed have a technical undergraduate degree. However, several of my colleagues have indicated that this is a misconception, as long as I am comfortable with a PM role and responsibilities then managing a technical project is feasible. They said that I will learn the lingo associated with the industry in a matter of time. While it helps to have a technical background, it's very possible for me to make this transition to a technical industry, learn the lingo on the job and they mentioned that the best way to make that transition is through the PMP.

DO you think that it's possible for me to branch out into an IT or engineering based company and manage such technical projects as a PM with a business background and Marketing Project Management Experience or do I need to have that technical undergraduate degree?
Thank you so much for your time.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login