fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed on my First Try! :)

Passed on my First Try! :) 13 years 9 months ago #1578

• Happy Camper
  • Happy Camper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well, I passed the PMP last week on my first try! I was elated and I must say, I'm still basking a little bit in the after effect.

I studied for 2 months (basically an hour / two after work and additional study on the weekends), I used the PrepCast, Rita and the PMBOK. I think one of the things I did "wrong" was that I jumped around a bit too much, mostly when I'd get intimidated I'd jump to another resource, if I were studying again I'd assemble all of my resources, read the PMBOK, listen to Cornelius and then read the supplementary guide of choice for each chapter. Then after that series I'd go back and re-read chapters / concepts that were fuzzy. I found the PMBOK much more readable (even enjoyable?) on the second read through. At this point I was pretty comfortable in the material and all that bogged me down previously clicked.

As a vote for the PrepCast, one wonderful thing about it is that Cornelius makes you believe that you will succeed. This is a nice contrast and a really good reality check, particularly if you are using other good, but more negative resources. I also enjoyed his unique technique for repeating important concepts. This was pretty smart!

Specifically, for my studies:
- I went through the PMBOK just over 2 times,
- Read Rita's PMPPrep 1.5 times and
- Listened to the PrepCast

I enjoyed having the PrepCast as a go-anywhere study aid. If I knew I'd be out for a long stint I could have the materials with me for on-the-go study. My personal study style included taking a lot of notes, this helps me cement ideas. I also took 2 practice exams. I found these to be invaluable in effectively demonstrating how long 4 hours is. Until I tried one I didn't really think I'd be drained after 3-4 hours of reading / thinking, but indeed 4 hours can take the stuffing out of you. It also helped me feel more confident that I would succeed in the real thing. I also did chapter quizzes after each chapter.

My best advice to all aspirants is to avoid too many websites talking about people's experiences. Reading these made me less confident. I'd suggest picking one source for experience / tips (such as this one) and don't read too many as it can distract / stress you out.

Once you are ready to commit, pick a date, develop your study schedule and go for it. With proper preparation and a good attitude PMP is definitely achievable.

Best of luck, you CAN do it! :woohoo:
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login