fbpx

Reply: How long do you need to prepare for PMP exam?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : How long do you need to prepare for PMP exam?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 8 months ago #14599

Deepika

's Avatar

Hello

I will be graduating soon and I have an experience of 1.5 years leading and directing projects and events for a non-profit organisation. Would you say that 2 months is realistic enough to prepare for the PMP exam as an entry-level candidate? I only have a part-time job and i have plenty of time.

Thank you in advance.
6 years 7 months ago #11397

mavs19

I f you have a full time job then a month should be sufficient - anything more then that and you are not being efficient. start giving exams sooner rather then later.
6 years 8 months ago #11370

Taiba

's Avatar

I my openion not less than two months required to be fully prepared for tbe exam. Try to have concentrated and continous reading. Test your self as much as possible by solving trial exams . Watch your scores with timing. If you score minimum 75 in each exam within the allowed timing than you garantee you will pass PMP exam.
6 years 8 months ago #11318

Anonymous

's Avatar

Thank You so much , This really helps. I was trying to schedule for 10 weeks ahead and was worried I wasn't being realistic. Im the same way I have to schedule ahead and work towards it otherwise I will not get it done.
Full time Job, busy mom but can definitely commit a couple of hours a week for study.

Thanks !
13 years 9 months ago #1541

Xiaomei Reeder

Hi All,

I see some posts discussing about how long you need to prepare for this PMP exam. Just want to share some of my experiences with you.

I started my journey since mid of April. I registered on PrepCast and bought the episodes, then bought PMBOK and Andy Crowe's Pass PMP at the First Try. I'd say that I actually started reading all the books since May 1st. Then, I passed the exam on June 8th on my first shot. So in my case, I just need a little over a month to get it done. Not even montion that I have a very busy full-time job and family to take care during this period.

My point here is this, the number of months put on the study is not a valid measurement you should consider. It really depends on following to my experience:

1) determination: can you get up a little earlier in the morning and sleep a little later at night to squeeze some precious time for your study during every week? Can you set aside some time during weekends for your study? Do you really want to do this? If so, then stick on it and do it.

2) Clear Goal & Efficiency: time is too luxury for me. I'm sure it's true for a lot people pursuing this certificate, too. So I have to focus on what I study and what my goal is during each time slot.

3) Strong learning skills. If you have very limit time for study, you have to find the best way working for you to understand and memory stuff. Understanding is the key. Take some time to figure out what works best for you in studying in general.

4) Setup Deadline first: This one maybe not works for everyone but I find it works for me very well. I set up my exam date ahead with Prometric when I just started the study. This is my deadline and it pushes me to achive my goal in a short period. Everyday when I get up, I know exactly what I need to do. Preparing for PMP is a real project in front you and it requires good planning and time management skills.

I do not recommend prepare for PMP for more than 6 months (too long). Just like anything else, you will find yourself bored, tired and drained at the end. This is a very exciting and intense journey that challenges you mentally and physically and I don't think making it too long is good for you. You would want to take the exam when you feel your energy is at the peak and I can tell you that the peak is not at the end of 6 months. It will strike you in the middle of the study. You should feel that you enjoy the challenge instead of being dragged to "no life".

Anyway, just some thoughts to share. Hope everyone succeeds. No matter what works for you, enjoy the clallenge and success.

Sharon Reeder, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login