fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP

Passed PMP 3 years 2 months ago #26215

• If I can do it, You definitely can!
  • If I can do it, You definitely can!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello prospective PMP certified ninjas!

So here's the secret behind passing the exam at your first try in just 4 months. Are you ready?.... Well there's no actual secret to it sadly no one method of study is going to work for all you ninjas out there. Your determination and hours you put into this investment is the important factor here. I was lucky that I was not working during this period due to Covid lock down so this gave me time (plenty of it) and I understand that some of you juggle work and family and many other aspects of life. But see the thing is PMI and most of the tutors recommend only 3 hours a day of study which I think if I were busy I would have done in the late hours of the night. Just be positive and block out all the negative thoughts of 'if I fail how much will it cost', 'if I don't pass what next?'. If you think that it will come to that, trust me! Think 'Yeah I'm certified' , 'I have gained so most lucrative certification out there'. So without any further ado I wish all you best of luck and hope my study methods help at least one you someday!

:) June 2020: Attended online classes to gain the 35 hours of training on Simplilearn (weekend classes so it took a whole month)
:) July - Sep 2020: Self Study which consisted of a 3 round study program. Let me explain below:

1st month
1. Read Rita Mulcahy's book. Highlight anything important and make short notes. Short notes should be written on A5 less sheets stapled together so its easier to carry around if moving.
2. Print out the table of the 10 KA and 5 Process groups and practice it everyday by drawing it out.

2nd Month
1. Read the short notes + skim through Rita's book again - 2nd Read (Now the book wont look so daunting).
2. Do a maximum of 50 questions on each chapter after studying it (I didn't have Prepcast at this time, but I highly recommend it as you can filter down each area and chapter of study).
3. The questions you get wrong, take a note pad and write down the answers. When you write down the brain notes it down faster than just reading it (I don't know the science behind it).

3rd Month
1. Purchased Aileen's study program and divided the videos so I can finish watching in a month.
2. Read the PMBOK as now it all made sense and didn't seem like some heavy bunch of notes, everything looked so simple. Highlight as you go.
3. Practiced questions from Prepcast. This time I was taking the exams. They had 7 in total. So I did 2 rounds of that. My scores were ranging from 64% - 77%. Time yourself as you do it. As time is big factor during the exam. It will prepare you to not panic and time each question per min because trust me at the exam when time starts to run out nerves will kick in and everything you studied will be forgotten!
4. Aileen's program had some questions too, so did that as well.
5. Most important and the best part of it all. Flash Cards! Not digital the tangible ones where you actually write on. Make them for each process. Write the Process name on one side and a short description of it on the other and sit on the floor (because I didn't have a big enough table to place all 49 of them, lol) and place them one by one in order teaching yourself what each process does and the benefits. This helped a lot!

last few days: Stop studying. Skim through your notes. Do Prepcast questions as they are the best in the market and relax.

On the day of the exam: Get there early so you can calm your nerves. Sit in front your computer with a positive mindset that you can do this! Take a break when the break is given. I did. This helps you less panic I think. Get back to questions and carry on. During the last hour I noticed I was running out of time and 3 - 4 questions of lagging (that's a lot as it pushes back the time) my heart was beating really fast and I wanted to run away. Trust me the questions are not hard but they are not like any other exam I have faced! I kept breathing and looked at the bigger picture and carried on. Don't allow yourself to panic because if you do you will forget everything (it happened to me for a few mins). Anyhow I pushed through because I had INVESTED so much money and TIME into this and I couldn't and wouldn't give in to failure like this!

I finished the exam in the 4 hours and clicked submit. My heart was in my throat, everything went silent and nothing around me mattered. As the screen loading sign appeared and flashed with a CONGRATUALTIONS I didn't know if it was congratulations that I had sat for the exam of that I had passed. lol. I got off my seat spoke to the exam invigilator and she handed a print out saying that I had passed. I was still in shock and a bit cold (not from the A/C, lol) and I walked out of the exam room and immediately called my family!

PMP is not easy but its also not hard to gain. PMP is beautiful as it does things to your mind that no other degree can (trust me I've sat through it all). With a lot of perseverance and planned out schedule you can do this! I am not the smartest kid on the block but my hard work paid off and this certification gave me so much more confidence.

Summary of materials used: Rita's book, PMBOK, Short notes, Flash cards, Notes from the training.

REMEMBER do 3 rounds (1 round of study per month)!

I hope my study methods would help you someday and wish you all the best of luck! :) Stay safe!
Last edit: by Elizabeth Harrin. Reason: Remove personal email address
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login