fbpx

Reply: Passed my PMP on the second try, by completely changing my study materials.

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed my PMP on the second try, by completely changing my study materials.

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 1 month ago #26257

Lisa Sweeney PMP

Congratulations, Samantha. My hats off to you!

I had similar experiences throughout the preparation process.

I bought Rita’s book, materials, and simulator, too, but didn't use them much. I didn’t find them as helpful as PrepCast’s. PrepCast’s PM Exam Simulator and video lessons consistently stuck to PMBOK-specific language and concepts. The simulator was by far the best because it explained EACH answer in depth (A, B, C, and D) and why it was right or wrong, in addition to a general paragraph about the question.

I bought the Velociteach book and found it worthwhile, but was set back by their exam simulator. It was frustrating and unhelpful due to the wording of the questions and the lack of explanation in the answers.

You pegged it with the words "practice tests". That's the key. I'm glad it worked out in December for you. I wish you a safe and healthy 2021 with your new credential to share.

Let me be the first in the forum to congratulate you on your achievement, Samantha Brown, PMP!
3 years 2 months ago #26203

Samantha Brown

The first time I took the PMP exam, I used materials from the company I work for. They put me through the Velociteach course. I also took some practice tests from their material, and read a bit of the PMBOK Guide. I studied for months, but I failed the first time around. I realized that the questions I used to practice were nothing like the exam questions and there was some material/concepts I didn't even know about! I kind of figured I did poorly on the exam, I felt it throughout the whole 4 hours.

Things I did differently:
I found the PrepCast Simulated Exams and I took A LOT of practice quizzes and exams.
I downloaded the Rita M. book and read through it twice. It made more sense then the Velociteach materials.
A colleague recommended the PMP Master Prep dude who posts YouTube videos. I also watched some other videos if I was confused about a concept, process, etc.
I didn't even use the PMBOK Guide.
I also used the exam outline document/guide on the PMI website to show what they will test on in each process area. I went through that as I was studying materials and it clicked so much easier for me.

I can't stress enough how important it is to take practice tests, and the ones on the Simulator were VERY close to the real questions. I wish I had known that the first go around. Also, I didn't bother doing the formula dump before the exam started. I actually had memorized all the EVM and schedule formulas, and I barely needed them. I had maybe 2-3 of those types of questions.

By changing up my study method and materials, I studied about 3 more months to take the second exam. I passed with flying colors, getting Above Average on all process areas. I'm glad I passed too, I took the second one at the end of December, right before the materials and PMP exam was going to change.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login