fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Online Exam - Passed with all 5 AT's!!

Online Exam - Passed with all 5 AT's!! 3 years 2 months ago #25893

• NICOLE NICHOLAS
  • NICOLE  NICHOLAS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Everyone,

I began prepping for the exam in Aug and sat for the exam 19DEC. I created a study plan where I gave myself 2 months to get thru' the study material and a full month for review. For each knowledge area , I first listened to the PrepCast videos, then reinforced my knowledge by reading the corresponding chapter in Rita Mulcahy's book including the chapter tests. I made notes while listening to the videos and created flashcards from the "know this for the exam" highlights of Rita's book. I completed the material in approx. two and a half months, then began my review. For my review, I used the simulator in learning mode - 30 questions every night and 50 questions on the weekend. Then gradually took it up to 100 questions (non-timed) over the weekend. The simulator made all the difference for me. I reviewed the details of the questions I answered incorrectly, then reviewed the sections in the PMBOK, when I needed more clarification. As I got closer to my exam date, I began doing 100 timed questions to build my endurance. Due to my schedule, it was tough to find time to fit in many full exams, and so I only completed two full exams in the last two weeks before the exam. I was scoring in the early 80% consistently, prior to sitting for the exam. The exam simulator is a MUST! It prepares you very well for the exam and I actually found that the PrepCast questions were somewhat tougher than the actual exam. I also didn't attempt to memorize the ITTO's, just made sure I understood them and had a firm grasp on how and when the different types of data analysis methods were used. I also downloaded the Ricardo Vargas pdf, but only reviewed it a few times during the course of study.

Specifics to the ONLINE exam:
**BE SURE TO USE AN ETHERNET CORD**
For me, taking the online exam required a great deal of mental toughness. Even though I ran the Pearson system test several times before the day of the exam, I still encountered issues. On exam day, I checked in for the exam successfully taking photos of the room and my ID etc., I was then cleared to begin the exam, but the exam never initiated. Instead a message popped up on my screen saying that my internet connection had disconnected, system was waiting to reconnect. This was confusing b/c my browser still showed a clear connection. I sat there for an agonizing 5 minutes, unsure of what to do, then to my horror the screen changed to a message saying I would have to reschedule my exam (Arrgh)! Although I didn't have to pay a fee to reschedule, it took two days to be able to reschedule the exam! IMP: if you have to reschedule due to a tech issue, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your case#, with a request to "reschedule immediately" at the end of the email. It was how I finally got a response to my request to reschedule.

KEEP A COOL HEAD
For my 2nd attempt, I made sure to connect using an ethernet cord: checked in successfully, this time the exam initiated without issue. However during the exam, the browser closed out without any alerts. Again I sat there paralyzed, unsure of what to do! But luckily, after a few seconds the browser reopened spontaneously at the same place I had left off. (Phew!)

WHITEBOARD - Create a textbox
Someone on here gave the wonderful advice of using a textbox to enter info more easily. That tip was so helpful! So yes, create a large textbox for all entries! I didn't do a brain dump b/c I knew I'd need to take the 10 minute break. When I had to draw a network diagram, I only typed in letters and numbers on the whiteboard, I didn't worry about drawing arrows. The few calculations I had to do, were very simple and didn't require a calculator. Very few formulas were required.

I finished my exam with a wopping 1.5 mins to spare! This was after a review of all marked questions for the 1st part of the exam and a 10 min break, but for the 2nd section I was only able to check for unanswered questions before running out of time. But yet still...I passed with all 5 AT's. Thank you PrepCast!!!

I say all this to say...create a schedule, put in the work to prepare, practice and review using the simulator and you'll be well prepared on EXAM DAY! You can do it!

Best of Luck to All!!
Nicole N.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sailaja Jonnalagadda

Online Exam - Passed with all 5 AT's!! 3 years 2 months ago #25905

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Congratulations, Nicole! Thanks for coming back and sharing your tips, the whiteboard tip about the text box is really helpful.

When you are ready to start earning PDU’s for PMP recertification, check out the PM PrepCast’s offerings, The PM Podcast and the The PDU Podcast which will help you keep up with PMI’s Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR’s) and maintain your new certification.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com

[email protected] 3 years 2 months ago #26079

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you, Elizabeth! Good luck to all aspirants!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login