fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Cleared PMP Exam- Lessons Learned

Cleared PMP Exam- Lessons Learned 3 years 3 months ago #25605

• Cindee Ali
  • Cindee Ali's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I passed the PMP exam and want to share some lessons learned from my experience. I used several materials to prepare for the exam. I used several sources. Each had their own usefulness, but I never fell to use just one source. I started my path by reading the infamous Rita Mulcahy book. I found it a bit challenging, slightly condescending, but the exercises and practice exams were helpful. I want to point out something that many PMP cert holders post. Some recommend reading the PMBOK guide. I did not read the PMBOK guide. I found it to be a reference book that is remarkably similar to a dictionary. I only used it for terms, definitions or concepts that I did not understand. I did not read it from cover to cover. I also used Aileen Ellis' books for understanding EVM, Contracts Calculations and Network Diagrams. As I am not a "math" whiz, these mini books that she published were extremely helpful in tackling those type of questions that may appear on the exam. I also read and studied Headfirst PMP. It simplified concepts a bit and gave a pictorial view of how to sort through understanding PM concepts and processes. I underwent all the requirements needed to secure a date for the exam. I planned out three to four months of study time. All these books helped but what worked the best for me was Cornelius Fichtner's PM-PrepCast. I cannot say enough positive things about this tool. I highly recommend it! If you take the time and plan out how many lessons you want to cover, then test your knowledge by taking the practice exams, it will help tremendously. Some lessons are lengthy, but do not skip them. Start with the end in mind and set your goal to complete all lessons and all practice exams. Continue to take the practice exams so that you become familiar with its structure. Understand the reason why you chose the answers you did but also understand the reasoning behind the correct answers. Strive for 80% or higher practice exam results. Be sure to read the questions very carefully. Read the exam questions twice if necessary and always, always read the last sentence of each question. Try to visualize you as the project manager handling the situation at hand and choose the best possible answer. Allow yourself enough rest and pace yourself so that you complete the exam in the allotted timeframe. Stay calm and confident!

Cleared PMP Exam- Lessons Learned 3 years 3 months ago #25629

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your experience.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login