fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: I become Certified PMP this past weekend! Here is my fair share...

I become Certified PMP this past weekend! Here is my fair share... 3 years 3 months ago #25260

• Kiten Meena
  • Kiten Meena's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi all,

First of all Good Luck with your exams.
I had many lessons learnt from this exam. It took me more than 6 -9 months (due to the current workload, as well as Mom for two young kids). This was my third attempt and I made it!
1. Do not be over confident - even when you have many years doing Project Management. The folks who fail do not understand the exam, it is not testing really in real world scenario's, exam is testing you as per described real world scenario's in PMP guide and other text books.
2. Learnt PMI-ism as many have called. That is my second mistake, in certain question when ambiguous not knowing what I have to assume. That is very important to know.
3. As PM Prepcast simulator calls out, do not read only PMBOK and go ahead and schedule exam. That was another mistake I made.
4. At the minimum - I read Rita_M_ulcahys_Exam_Ninth_Edition this was helpful besides PMBOK and I could make it in the third attempt.
5 Other reason, I did not do well. In first attempt, I went over the "Joseph Phillips" overview which was good overview and 2 exams, PMP Sabri C PMP Math and 2 exams. I had taken 30+ questions on each chapter. My score was 60-70% in the exams. Second time my score was around 70-75% in test exams, I had also got Andrew Ramdayal - PMP Exam Prep practice questions (over 600). I was close, got three above target, 1- target and 1 - Need improvement and failed. I recommend, at least attempting 800-1000 questions (4-5 exams at a minimum) and consistent score of 75% above. I really think the analysis PM Prepcast provide was best, If I had taken first I may have done better.
6. Scheduling of Exam: The other thing to be caution, as many of you may know, not easy to get the exam dates, it is like vicious circle. If I don't have date how can I target it. If you take up exam date, you can only move with no cost a month in advance only. I suggest put on paper target date, but do not schedule exam (I made this mistake, then there was a fire near my house and I forgot to cancel or move and then rather than paying $70 to move my exam I decided to take it up an try to complete). 2nd time I made the study plan and adhered to it.
7. Application Process: I started my PMP application submission first and then started preparing for Exam, which may have been Okay if it was not COVID and other situations. I recommend become a PMI member, read through PMBOK, get your 35 PDU's and then apply for PMP applications. That way you have plenty of time to try two attempts if needed. Took me more than a month to read PMBOK or Ritu's book each. Between second and third attempts I took 2 months only and focused on all areas. After 1st attempt, I focus on areas where I did not do well. That was a mistake. You need to have all target or Above target in 4/5 areas to pass as it seems.

I found most questions were situation based, and very limited handful mathematical questions.
Also, my break in three exams came at three different time first time after 100 questions, 2nd time 85 and third time 89 questions. What I did not understood -exam push you to review or submit. I took 20 -25 mins to review and submit first part. When I came back after break, I had 120 questions to do in 140 mins. So that was confusing for me. In all attempts I did my exam around in 3 hours and had 50-60 mins for review. But you may want to watch your time, once the exam ends for part 1. It did baffled me in 2nd attempt.
Hope it helps for you to plan better and get certified.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rekha Krishnan, Aris Veraros, Ajith Senaratne, Pallavi Thadhani
Last edit: by Kiten Meena.

I become Certified PMP this past weekend! Here is my fair share... 3 years 3 months ago #25391

• Yolanda Mabutas
  • Thank you received: 39
Congratulations, Kiten!

Thank you for sharing your Lessons Learned.
Yolanda Mabutas
OSP International LLC
www.pm-prepcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login