fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed the PMP yesterday with 5AT w/ online exam

Passed the PMP yesterday with 5AT w/ online exam 3 years 4 months ago #24929

• Andrew Bunce
  • Andrew Bunce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a lot of experience in PM, just not using the PMBOK so this was all new to me. I started this process in August by reading the PMBOK and highlighting everything I didn't know, which was a lot. After that I made flashcards of all the terms in the glossary so I could learn the lexicon. I was only retaining the basic info and not really progressing.

I had to do some extensive work travel and started PrepCast mid September. I took extensive notes on every module so I could reference it all later. I took the end of mod quizzes and averaged in the 70's. I finished the classes towards the end of Oct and took the first exam to see where I was. I scored 80%. I then took an exam every Sunday and used the flashcards and PMBOK to work on my weak areas. I found my scores fluctuating in the initiating, executing, and closing process groups so I started using the PMI exam guide to help figure that out. I joined a Facebook group that had some files that helped plug these gaps. I didn't memorize the ITTOs, only studied what the terms meant and how they would be applied.

After the 6th test I was averaging 82% and said to heck with it and moved up my test date. I'm pretty good at taking tests as I don't get nervous as it's too late to learn anything when it's time to take it. I took the exam at 1:15 AM local as the internet here isn't reliable during the day. I pushed through pretty quickly so as to minimize the risk of the internet going out later in the morning. I finished the test in 3 hours and only took about 5 minutes of the break. No issues with the online exam. While the proctor was setting up my computer I asked in the chat if I could have water, and he was good with it as long as I drank while my face was on the screen. I saw some other posts about people getting warned about hands on face, excessive movement, etc., so I practiced all that during the PrepCast exams.

The test questions were very close to the PrepCast simulator, though the answers were not as obvious. I guess I lucked out in that I didn't have to use the calculator at all. I went with my gut on a lot of questions and picked what I thought would be the most common sense. I had a couple of critical path questions that I thought were a bit excessive for a timed online exam, but once I found the notepad it was easy. I practiced not building complete boxes and only writing letters and numbers, which saved a lot of time.

Hope this helps others as previous posts here helped me. Thank you PrepCast, and I'll see you soon for the PMI-ACP training.
Last edit: by Andrew Bunce.

Passed the PMP yesterday with 5AT w/ online exam 3 years 4 months ago #24990

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Congratulations, Andrew! Thanks for coming back and sharing your success with us. Good luck with your PMI-ACP!
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login