fbpx

Reply: Passed the PMP Exam (5 ATs, First attempt) - You can do it

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed the PMP Exam (5 ATs, First attempt) - You can do it

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 3 months ago #24804

Mayra Valdivia

I am also prepping to sit the test before this year ends, thanks all for your inspirational words, best of luck to all!
3 years 4 months ago #24791

Rita Bhatt

Thank you Ashwin and Duon.
Ashwin, did you use the Process Flow Chart of Ricardo, the one with ITTO's with it? How/where did you get it printed "A0" size poster? I watched his video and having the hard copy of the flow would be good.

Once again, Thanks for your motivations. Your inputs are very valuable to me.
Good luck to Duon.
3 years 4 months ago #24784

Ashwin Lunkad

Firstly I wish you both Rita and Duon, good luck. You guys can certainly do it.

After I had reviewed PMBOK Guide (and glossary) along with watching Joe's Videos, I bought the Prepcast right away. The day I booked my exam, I took 2-3 Learning Quizzes (Based on Domains and never on Knowledge Areas). I immediately switched to taking full exams. I took only one attempt for each exam. The strategy I followed was to take an exam (Weekdays early morning/late evenings dur to my job; Weekends during day time) and immediately review the wrong answers. So an exam took 4hrs, considering I was consistently getting 40-55 (Scored avg: 75-80%) answers wrong, I spent almost 3-4 hrs reviewing them. I read all 4 options for the wrong answer (which helps me in understanding 4 concepts for every wrongly answered question), never went back to right answers. I continued to next exam even if my previous exam review was still in-progress. This way I attempted all exams (1-7) within a span of 10 days including reviews, which was just 2-3 days prior to my final PMP exam. I did not see value in repeating a prepcast exam as one would be familiar with most questions (this is just me). Two days before the exam I just reviewed some basic notes, spent time on my process flow chart (attached the picture here), re-read glossary a few times. As my exam was scheduled at noon), I just revised the chart and glossary, went for a walk and headed to the Pearson Center and then rest is History :) . I made sure to get good night sleep, which is very critical to focus. I honestly found PMI exam to be easier than all the 7 prepcast exams (this was just me).

Hope this helped. Good luck again.
3 years 4 months ago #24781

Duon Martin

Rita I scored a 53% on my first mock exam if it makes you feel any better. I've been studying for about 9 months now, including taking a boot camp in March of this year. I thought that I was on top of things by reading Rita's Prep Book and taking mock exams from other platforms. I just purchased this simulator about 2 weeks ago and I realized that it was a bunch of information that I was missing out on by ignoring the PMBOK. My goal now is to take all of the mock exams and focus on the questions that I marked and the questions that I got wrong. I'm also highlighting my PMBOK as I go along and reading up on those sections that I was not familiar with. Also, I'm making flash cards for the questions that I got wrong and for the questions that I just didn't quite understand. Using this approach, I was able to revisit the first mock exam and get an 85% on my second attempt. I figure that I will use this strategy for all seven exams. I will not move forward to the next exam until I can at least score between a 75% or higher on a exam. I have my flash cards labeled in a sandwich bag for each exam. I'm on exam 2 now. I scheduled to take my exam on December 28th at an Pearson Center. Wish me luck!

Great post Ashwin. You really inspired me. I have a wife, 3 kids, a grand daughter and a shitzu. Not to mention, a very demanding job where I'm working at least 50hrs per week. I knew it was going to be challenging to get this done, so I allowed a ton of time to pace myself while working through it. My time is running out now. Using the approach that I mentioned above for the mock exams, I'm sure that I will have all the ammo that I need to get through this exam next month. I really feel like I'm learning something new everyday now. There is so much info in the PMBOK that I was completely unaware of and this simulator is a big help with pointing you in the right direction by giving you the page numbers associated with each question.
3 years 4 months ago #24779

Rita Bhatt

Congratulations Ashwin on getting your PMP. Very happy for you.
Last week, I also booked my exam for Dec, 15th after watching Ricardos Varga's video. I have two weeks left before my exam.

I would appreciate if you can tell me; How many hours per day you study? And when did you started taking the "Prepcast PMP Exam Simulator" Mock tests?
Did you scored consistently Avg. 75-80% in all your Mock tests in your first trials? or this averages are after second or third trials?

As for the study resources, I have the same study materials as you.
I took the first Mock test from Prepcast PMP Exam Simulator and scored 59% in first try and 87% in my second try. I reviewed all the wrong questions before 2nd try.
I am going to focus on taking all 7 of the exams in two weeks....so your inputs for study guide will be a great help.
Congrats again.
Thanks,
3 years 4 months ago #24777

Ashwin Lunkad

I am excited to share the news that I recently passed the PMP (Above Target across all domains - 5AT) at Pearson Center. With a full-time job, 2 kids and other commitments, if I could do it anyone can do it. I spent 3 weeks (complete focus: I was literally eating, drinking, sleeping PMP) and had booked my exam as soon as my application was approved by PMI.

For me the game changer apart from the resources was the change in attitude and approach that truly made this a possibility. Three most critical factors that helped me immensely. Firstly, I booked my exam 3 weeks in advance (Just before my actual preparation - Inspired by Ricardos Varga's video, a must watch:
Secondly, I got "A0" size Process Flow poster printed and pasted it right next to my study table ( ricardo-vargas.com/downloads/download-file/15087/15092 ) which I am retaining and this helped me the most in internalizing the processes, ITTOs and their relationships (and not get over whelmed which they naturally do).
Lastly, I decided not to memorize anything (No ITTOs or Domains/KA) instead understanding their relationships and interconnectivity. Please stay away from tons of videos on YouTube that suggest you to memorize/cram, as these strategies worked only in the past not anymore as current PMP exam has scenario/situational based questions which tests your true knowledge.

Study Resources:
- Jospeh's Udemy Course PMP Exam prep Course (Watched Twice; Satisfies 35 Contact Hours requirement): Truly a great resource, specially his "PMP Coach Videos" in each section.
- PMI Resources: PMBOK Guide (parallely skimmed) while watching Joseph's videos (nicely mapped). PMBOK exam outline (read them a few times), PMBOK Glossary, Application of Agile in PMBOK® Guide Knowledge Areas (Page 91-94 - Agile Practice Guide).
-Ricardo Vargas - PMBOK Guide Process Flow Video (
)
- Prepcast PMP Exam Simulator - After just a few of the Learning quizzes, I took the first 7 exams (Except ITTO exam) and scored consistently Avg. 75-80%. I reviewed in detail the wrongly answered questions, which strengthen my understanding and proved out to be very helpful.

Exam Day:
Great experience at the Pearson review center. I am a slow starter (found this by doing practice exams as well), but kept reassuring myself that I can do it. By the time I answered about 25 questions, I felt confident and completed the first 90 Questions in about 100 Minutes, which ends first section of the exam. I did not opt for 10-min break (but whether you opt or not, you do not get access to the questions from Section 1), as starting back again would have taken me sometime and instead I wanted to go with the flow and jump right into section 2. I answered all my questions with 40 minutes left. Reviewed the ones I had marked (approx. 10-12) and re-reviewed all answers during the last 20+ minutes. Then I choose to finally end the exam just 5 minutes before the time. Greatly relieved to see the “Congratulations” screen.

I believed in myself and did it. So can each one of you. Please do not get disheartened or disappointed if its taking you longer as each one of us have unique potential and varying grasping powers/experiences. Believe in yourself, just book your exam, and successfully knock it out before 31st Dec 2020.

PS: Sorry for long post, but it took me over an hour to put this together. But I thought it was worth as such posts from other people have helped me gain confidence and come out successfully with truly immense learning.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login