fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed the PMP exam... twice.

Passed the PMP exam... twice. 3 years 7 months ago #22897

• Dante Diaz
  • Dante Diaz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The good: I passed the PMP exam on the first "full" attempt. The exam simulator (I passed all 5 of the Premium Exams taken) was a very good approximation of the actual exam. It definitely boosted my confidence.

The horror: I was originally to take the exam at a testing facility 26 June 2020, but due to COVID-19 it was cancelled. So I rescheduled for an online proctored exam for the same day and time as the original. I did all of the computer checks like they ask you to perform and it all checked out. On exam day, somewhere around question 80, unbeknownst to me, Comcast was doing maintenance and cut the internet connection to the house. The exam was revoked and case opened. By the way, PMI does send you the results from these botched attempts, and I was on my way to passing the first attempt! It took about 12 business days and hours on hold with PMI to get the case cleared and my exam rescheduled. For the second attempt on 24 July 2020 I chose a location with a backup generator and backup ISP and did the same testing procedure from Pearson VUE. Pearson VUE technology failed (video streaming) and they told me if I started the exam they would revoke it anyway. So another case was started. I called both Pearson VUE and PMI right after and demanded they expedite the case (after more than 45 minutes on hold with PMI). Went back to my original plan of taking it at a test center and no problems; passed 31 July 2020.

Lessons learned:
1. Exam simulator is an excellent representation of the actual exam. In fact, I might say it makes the real exam seem easier.
2. Take the online exam at your own peril. Take PMP exam in a testing center if possible.
3. If you need to call PMI, call right when the phone lines open or be prepared for a long wait on the phone. In total I think I spent about 4 hours on hold getting my cases resolved.
4. If you have a case opened, demand that it be expedited or be prepared to wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PATRICE WALLACE
Last edit: by Dante Diaz. Reason: small edit

Passed the PMP exam... twice. 3 years 7 months ago #22902

• Lisa Sweeney PMP
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
Congratulations, Dante!!

Thank you for sharing your Lessons Learned/Survival Guide! Understanding how to open a case when problems arise from the online test is very helpful. Kudos to you for pushing through all the technical issues. You earned your stripes and then some.

I also agree with your points —
• Take the exam at a Pearson VUE test center if at all possible.
• The PM PrepCast Simulator is very representative of the actual exam.

Congratulations again, and I wish you all the best, Dante Diaz, PMP!
Last edit: by Lisa Sweeney PMP. Reason: changed "issues" to "problems"
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login