fbpx

Reply: Passed My PMP Exam (on second attempt)

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed My PMP Exam (on second attempt)

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 7 months ago #23115

Anonymous

's Avatar

Thank you for the supportive message!
3 years 7 months ago #22801

Adnan Butt

you really worked hard and finally you got through ,,congratulations
3 years 7 months ago #22780

Elizabeth Harrin

Congratulations! Thanks for coming back and sharing your exam journey and success with us.
3 years 7 months ago #22775

Solomon Gee

I had to challenge myself because, at 60 years old, my brain cannot retain as much as 20-30 years ago. I had to think of ways to absorb the content and using the PM PrepCast program was exceptional! Although I have managed projects without certification, I can now understand the principles behind the PMP. So here was my game plan which began in early March at the start of the shelter-in-place for the COVID-19 issue (exploiting the opportunity).

Taking the advice of others, I set up a project plan for the first exam in mid-June. I studied each PM PrepCast video, captured notes using Quizlet, and reading the PMBOK twice (fun read). I also used the Rita Mulcahy's app, PM Pocket Prep, and the PMI PMP app but the PM PrepCast program was the key for me. I appreciated the eight (8) online exams and the endless practice test (which I took many times). Unfortunately, I failed my first attempt of the PMP exam. I documented all of the formulas at the start of the exam (that was a costly mistake for me as I lost about 8 minutes having to type it into the online proctored tool similar to Notepad).

Dejected, I took a couple of weeks off to regain focus and determine whether it was worth the effort to try again. While I received encouragement from family members, friends, and another practicing PMP'er (is that a word?), I realized that I still have my binder full of notes, Quizlet cards (over 2000), and access to the PM PrepCast program. Fortunately, I had not used up my allotted online exams. Finding the PMP Exam Content Outline document (I did not have this the first time around), I went back to studying my notes with a new mindset. The biggest challenge was understanding the ITTO's and having found sage advice to NOT memorize it but rather, UNDERSTAND the logic, that made the difference. Additionally, while I practiced the formula writing, I chose NOT to document the formulas at the next exam which I scheduled for August 3rd. Instead, I used the correct formulas when the question(s) called for its practical use.

Aside from the PMP content, I also trained my body and mind for the exact time slot of the scheduled exams. I learned that my body was less functional at the 8pm-midnight slot (chose this for the June exam as the instructions were to have a quiet atmosphere so I thought this was a good time slot for my environment). The August exam was scheduled from 1:00-5:30pm and that worked better with minimal noise outside. I also trained my body for the "no snacking or drinking of water" during the exam time (except for the 10 minute break allowed). This was critical for me as my body needs water every 15 minutes so lacking this nourishment, I had to train my brain to remain focused on the questions and ignore my body's thirst for fluid intake.

Lastly, I resolved that whatever the outcome, I would accept it at the 2nd exam (even though I could take it one more time if I failed again). This was a mindset game changer as I put too much pressure on myself in June that I must pass the exam. The study time was set for 6 days/week at 4-5 hours of uninterrupted time. My family was very supportive and avoided bothering me during those hours in the day. This helped them as my scheduled exam in August was the same time as my usual study sessions.

All in all, after seeing the word Congratulations appear on the screen (the 2nd time around), I was mentally and physically exhausted (not to mention, very thirsty). I can see that my second attempt was fruitful due to a different way of looking at the questions. I had to learn (and try to understand) how those questions were worded as there were many examples where the grammar was poor (in my opinion) and a tactic to confuse the PMP aspirant.

I am happy this is done and I will definitely recommend PM PrepCast to PMP aspirants. Thank you Cornelius for your fun way of teaching and making dry material come alive and understandable!!!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login