fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed After Failing on the First Try

Passed After Failing on the First Try 3 years 8 months ago #22699

• Chad Nevills
  • Chad Nevills's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Sorry .... I went off on a tangent about my whole experience. Scroll to the bottom for the lessons learned only :).

My first go ended up being unsuccessful. I purchased the “Head First” book some time in the middle of January 20’. Probably my first mistake. I decided on Head First because all the reviews I read stated something to the nature of the fact that it was geared more towards visual learners. I consider myself a visual learner ... or at least I thought I did. Anywho ... my goal was to get through this experience spending as less money as possible. After the Head First book, I purchased Joseph Phillips PMP Exam Prep from Udemy and went through that slowly. I was on the fence about purchasing prepcast at first because I had a few friends tell me they successfully passed without it. One mentioned PMmasterPrep ... it was cheaper so I went that route. I got through the baseline test. It consisted of 50 questions, you needed an 80% to pass. I made a 76%. Took a few more 50 questions quizzes over the coming days and could not score over 75%! I figured 75% was good enough.

As my test date approached, I got more and more nervous, because in that time, I stumbled across reddit where everyone praised prepcast. I figured I’d be safe so I purchased it and backed my test up to a later date. I struggled... in 5 full exams, my scores ranged between 62% - 67%. After each exam, I would review the questions that I missed . My scores on quizzes were a bit better. I struggled with time during tests, I would run out at around 180 questions so I would speed through the last 20.. I was frustrated, my grades weren’t improving so I purchased “How to Pass on Your First Try”. I got through it fairly quickly. I started taking more 10 - 50 question quizzes to boost my confidence a bit. My scores were typically above 65% doing those. I thought their was not much left for me to do so I gave the test a shot.

I scheduled to take the test from home as opposed to on site. The actual exam honestly felt like it was easier than prepcast. At the halfway point (question 90) I recalled having 133 mins left. A few posters suggested having at least 130 mins left by the halfway point so I thought that was good. I didn’t try to move the panel at the top center of the page even though it was annoying. I’d read that doing so led to technical issues. I was afraid to death of EVM questions, thankfully I only came across 2 and they were simple. About 10 agile questions from what I remember. I recall near the end of the test, the proctor sent a message warning me to not touch my face which threw me off. I had 26 mins left at question 185.... but after that little incident, I lost concentration. I ended up having 1 min remaining on my last question. I hit submit and got the “sorry, unfortunately you failed” message and I was destroyed ... confused. I felt like I did enough to pass but apparently not. My scores were AT/AT/NI/T/NI

Took about 5 days off from studying. I was eager to get back to it. I borrowed a copy of Rita’s book from a friend. Got through about 10 chapters ... came across a group of folks who were in the same boat as me (failed the first time around) and established some study groups. This was helpful. I felt a bit more confident. Instead of focusing mainly on my weak areas, I basically started over.. My next prepcast exam I scored an 83% then a 68% (ran out of time AGAIN!). I even gave the PMI practice exam from the pmi site a shot. Scored 72%, shocked the heck out of myself. A week went by, I took small quizzes daily to keep myself fresh. Then decided I was not going to schedule the exam ahead of time ... because the last time I did that, I didn’t get ANY SLEEP the night before. So this time, I basically woke up, discussed it with my wife and scheduled it for later that evening. Test time came, I felt like I was prepared but after the first 3 questions .... I started to wonder again what the heck had I gotten myself into. The questions were HARD, WAYY harder than the first test. The questions were a mix of prepcast type questions and PMI practice questions. I spent a lot of time thinking on this test .. by question 70, I was already thinking to myself that I would have to schedule it again. I thought it was over and I failed. My main mission became getting to the half way point so that I could take a breather, gather myself. Finally, 129 mins left at the halfway point. I reviewed a few questions I was unsure about then went to my break. Got back to the test and to my surprise ... I don’t know if I just needed a break or if the questions got easier but .. the questions weren’t as difficult. Still hard, but not as difficult. I found myself running out of time around question 175. I literally had a minute to answer each question, thankfully around question 190, the questions got super simple. Like literal definitions for answers. I finished with 2 minutes to spare ... in those 2 minutes, I took the time to review a critical path question that I ran through b/c I needed to use the whiteboard to draw. Clicked the finish review button with about 30 seconds left and got the “CONGRATULATIONS” . Wasn’t expecting it AT ALL. My scores were T/BT/AT/T/BT

Lessons Learned Summary:
  • if nothing else ... focus on Execution phase! Your score is weighted heavily on it. I’ve seen folks score 2 NI’s with an AT in Execution and still pass
  • Focus on time!
  • Build test taking stamina! Take the prepcast full exams to help build stamina. Sitting for 4 hours answering questions can be draining
  • Don’t try to memorize ITTO’s
  • If you fail, don’t get discouraged, use it as a learning experience
  • Do some of the quizzes in learning mode on prepcast, not every test has to be a full exam
  • Try to get a good nights rest the night before the exam
  • When reading questions, try to figure out what phase you’re in.
  • Review questions you’ve missed after prepcast exams
  • Take at LEAST 4 full exams
  • Use process of elimination when choosing an answer (I was able to eliminate at least 2 answers every time during the test)
  • Check out Vargas vids
  • If you can score consistently 70 or better on exams, you’re ready
  • Good luck! You can do it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandra Van Praag
Last edit: by Chad Nevills.

Passed After Failing on the First Try 3 years 8 months ago #22704

• Mike Cheung, PMP
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats Chad!!! It is such a huge weight off your shoulders to pass!

I agree that I was also so nervous in preparation for the exam and barely had any sleep the night before! I like that you scheduled it on the day of as opposed to in advance. I had considered on multiple occasions to pay the money and move the exam up to an earlier date so I wouldn't have to sit there for 2-3 more days just waiting for the exam date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad Nevills

Passed After Failing on the First Try 3 years 8 months ago #22708

• Alexandra Van Praag
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congratulations!! Question, did you use the whiteboard to do a brain dump or was it too hard? I've heard it can be tough to use

Passed After Failing on the First Try 3 years 8 months ago #22720

• Chad Nevills
  • Chad Nevills's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you so much :-). I did not use the white board for a brain dump. It would have been a huge waste of valuable time. I did however use it for a critical path question. But even that was terrible. It’s basically Microsoft paint. If you absolutely need a brain dump, I’d suggest start practicing in Microsoft paint. Good luck!

Passed After Failing on the First Try 3 years 8 months ago #22733

• PATRICE WALLACE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Congrats! So encouraging!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad Nevills
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login