fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed my exam first time -lessons learned

Passed my exam first time -lessons learned 3 years 8 months ago #22636

• Deanna Bogner
  • Deanna Bogner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
To all,
I passed my PMP exam on the first attempt On Thursday. I received the e-mail from PMI on Friday.
T/AT/AT/T/AT

My prep was longer -about a year due to numerous obstacles. I managed projects because it was part of my job and I was the SME. My experience with the processes and other knowledge areas on the test was like starting a foreign language.

I am a learner for whom video is a waste of time. Lectures, reading the text books and taking written notes are my learning style. I am old school and still like paper in my hands. I went through two pen refills, 6 mechanical pencil leads, and 6 legal pads of paper. I lost track of the number of erasers....

I was also unconcerned with finding free questions.

Textbook: Andy Crowe book -I consulted it constantly and read it all the way through at least 4 times.
Aileen Ellis for Earned value questions, Networking, and Contracting problem practice.
Christopher Scordo for more practice questions
Prep Cast questions: both in the video series and the Prep Cast simulator
PMBOK was used only for reference.

I estimate I answered 5000 questions in preparation-many multiple times. The Scordo book was a great learning tool due to my inexperience with the terminology. His questions were worded in a straight forward way which assisted me in learning the terminology.

I then moved the the Crowe book questions and then to the Prep Cast simulator. I took all of the Prep cast tests except ITTO and 4 of the tests in the Prep Cast twice. I did multiple learning quiz sessions.

The Prep Cast simulator was the closest to the actual test for wording and answers.

A shout out to Harry Ellston for assisting me with my nemesis-Scope by suggesting multiple learning quiz sessions. It worked....

My test had no Agile questions and probably 6 calculation questions. I am a very fast test taker and had to purposely slow my self down. I used the highlight and strike through functions on each question. I had 90 minutes left when I thought I was done and went through the entire second half of the test the second time. I changed three answers.

Hint to prevent panic:.
The test stopped at question 89 for the break. The computer would not proceed until the questions were reviewed. I thought that I was having computer difficulties....and had a bit of panic. What did I do wrong...?

This is long but I hope it helps some one.....
I am pretty excited and am already signed up for an Agile course. Thanks again.....
Deanna Bogner

Passed my exam first time -lessons learned 3 years 8 months ago #22643

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Congratulations! What a great result.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com

Passed my exam first time -lessons learned 3 years 8 months ago #22650

• PATRICE WALLACE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Wow!this is really helpful!I plan to take mine in September!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login