fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Question regarding kick-off meeting

Question regarding kick-off meeting 3 years 8 months ago #22310

• Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP
  • Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
In the Podcast lesson 4.02.02, it says kick-off meeting happens in the Initiating stage for small projects. But in PMBOK guide 6th edition, page 86, 4.2.2.4 says kick-off meeting for small projects occurs shortly after the Initiating stage, i.e. in the Planning stage. Please clarify which one is correct. Thank you.

Question regarding kick-off meeting 3 years 8 months ago #22322

• Kyle Kilbride, PMP
  • Thank you received: 49
Rahul,

It's by no means an exact science. I did not take the PrepCast course, just the exam simulator. However, in general if you have a small project where the majority of the team joins early on then your kickoff meeting would be held earlier. For larger projects, your kickoff would be later because the majority of the team won't be required for planning purposes.

As far as the distinction between the two sources it doesn't appear to be substantial. It will depend on the specifics of the project and when the team is onboarded. I think the most important point to note is that for a small project your kickoff would likely occur late in Initiating or early in Planning, whereas for a large project it would be late in Planning or early in Executing.

Kyle
Regards,
Kyle Kilbride, P.Eng, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator

Question regarding kick-off meeting 3 years 8 months ago #22324

• Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP
  • Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you, Kyle.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login