fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Lost time during the exam

Lost time during the exam 3 years 9 months ago #22270

• Asghar Khan
  • Asghar Khan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
On Saturday July 07, I had one of the worst experiences of my life. I went to take the PMP exam (my third attempt) at PEARSON PROFESSIONAL CENTERS-DALLAS TX. This time a 10 minute break was added in the exam. When the proctor was checking me in the exam room I asked her about the break. I specifically ask her what I need to do during the break and she said you will see the instructions on the screen. Half way through the exam I was doing very well and I was very confident of passing the exam this time. Then the break time happens and I see a message on the screen if I want to take the break or want to continue with the exam? I opt for taking a break.After that a clock appears on the screen with the reverse counting of 10 minutes. I stayed quietly on my station planning about my strategy for the second half of the exam. 9 minutes and 10 seconds passed and this proctor lady came to me and ask me "what are you doing" I told her that I am taking a break and will resume the test after the break. She said you cannot sit here during your break. I replied to her that there are only few seconds left in my break and if I leave the room now I will loose my time. But she insisted and said you cannot talk in the exam room, you have to get out from here. I followed her out of the exam room. I had a marker in my hand at that time which I forget to put it back on my desk during this disturbance. Outside the room she told me that I am not following the instructions because I bring the marker outside the exam room. I ask her I don't have a watch or the cell phone so how can I find out how much time left in my break if it is mandatory to leave the room during the break and she had no answer for that. Then she asked me to show her my empty pockets, my arms with the sleeves rolled up, raise the collar of my shirt and the whole nine yard of routine that they do when they admit you first time in the exam room. ( It is so ridiculous that I just came out from the room 2 minutes ago and she was with me all the time, even then I had to perform that routine one more time)After that she took me in the exam room again and I see the message on the screen that my break time is over and almost 5 minutes of the time will be taken away from my next session. I told the proctor lady that she wasted my time and she threatens me If I want to take a test or not?Since it was my third attempt and I was kind of desperate I said I want to take the test. I started the test but I was under pressure due to my lost time and I lost my concentration. For the next several minutes I did not know what to do but I kept on answering the questions. After about 30 minutes into the second half of my exam I thought in my mind to relax and forget what happened and try to focus on exam. To make my self comfortable I put one of my leg on top of the other and my shoes were touching the seat. This proctor lady came again to my desk and said you are not supposed to sit like this, put your feet down. I followed her instructions but once again I lost all my focus and I ended up failing the exam.
Do I have any option to dispute this exam? What are my rights at this point?
Your response will be appreciated.
Thanks,Asghar Khan

Lost time during the exam 3 years 9 months ago #22272

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Asghar:

We cannot help you in your situation. I would contact PMI directly and explain your situation. Do not embellish it - just stick to the facts. They are the ultimate arbiters of the exam.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

Lost time during the exam 3 years 9 months ago #22280

• Asghar Khan
  • Asghar Khan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you for your advice. I will contact PMI regarding this.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login