fbpx

Reply: More Agile Questions Reported than usual in Recent PMP

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : More Agile Questions Reported than usual in Recent PMP

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 9 months ago #22168

Harry Elston

Mark,

Congratulations!

I don't know how one would study PMBOK 7 yet? it's not been published. Not due out until Q4 of 2020. See here: www.pmi.org/about/blog/new-7th-edition-pmbok-guide

Harry
3 years 9 months ago #22167

Mark Tam

I am happy to report back that after my second attempt I passed with T/AT/AT/AT/T.

It would seem that first time exam takers like myself that run into an absurdly high number of agile questions have in fact just drew the short straw. My second attempt had all of *ONE* single agile question and it was crazy easy, in fact I didn't know what to make of the exam cause about one quarter of the questions were straight definitions, another quarter were basic process ordering, and the rest were basic to moderately difficult situational questions that in my opinion were for the most part easier than those found in Prepcast! Having said that, for PMI to make a random number of people write an exam that closer resembles the PMBOK 7 when you're told to study off 6 seems kind of sketchy to me, if it's unintentional they really need to fix it, else it feels a bit unethical to me.

End of the day Prepcast is an invaluable tool for preparing individuals attempting the current exam standard and I still firmly believe the questions are more or less in line with the actual exam if not a bit longer.
3 years 9 months ago #22158

Stef

's Avatar

Yes, I've failed my first attempt last month and I've reported almost 25-30 agile questions.
Unfortunately I've never read agile practice guide before the exam.
I've was unconfortable also with situational questions and i 've purchased prepcast simulator but in addition now I'm studying also agile pmi guide.
3 years 9 months ago #22114

Mark Tam

The first few agile questions I had no idea I follow the advice on how to tackle unfamiliar questions, but as I ran into more I began to think maybe it's a seeded question. However when it got to the point where I realized I've observed over 30 agile related questions I knew there was no chance all of my seeded questions were agile based. As the exam progressed and I saw even more agile questions my confidence got shaky until the last screen that confirmed my suspicions that I had failed.

After this experience I've made a few adjustments and have continued to plug away at the simulator. I would mostly agree the questions in the simulator are reasonably close to the actual exam (the simulator calculating questions are much longer and more difficult) however for aspirants like myself who do not have a professional working background in agile and the expectation PMI has for the subject matter based off the APG I believe puts individuals at a disadvantage.
3 years 9 months ago #22113

Harry Elston

Mark and Gopinath,

The only response I can offer is "Ugh!"

While it's clear from PMI that current PMP aspirants are responsible to know "about" agile methods and application, the depth of that knowledge has always appeared to be pretty thin.

I just don't know in this case.
3 years 9 months ago #22112

Mark Tam

Harry,

I wish I shared your feelings of the PMP exam but I would have to side with Gopinath.

I've made my first attempt about a month ago and failing that attempt because I was taken aback by number and difficulty of Agile questions on the exam! During my studies there was light emphasis on Agile but everything I've learned up until that point was enough to get me past the types of agile questions on Prepcast however when it came to the exam I was clueless on the vast majority of them. I don't have exact numbers but I would have guessed my exam had +40 agile questions with terminology I've never come across, you simply don't know what you don't know. Since then I've read over the Agile Practice Guide and personally don't feel it's written in a way that it would be helpful to an exam taker almost to the point where PMI is looking for ways to increase the failure rate to take in more revenue. Reading over the success stories on here and Reddit, my Prepcast scores have been as high if not higher. I know I can pass the PMP but it's irritating knowing the resources I've put into preparing I could still end up with the short stick.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login