fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Mastering ITTO'S

Mastering ITTO'S 3 years 8 months ago #22007

• Ali MOMENZADEHPISHROO
  • Ali MOMENZADEHPISHROO's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys,
Can anyone teach me any practical and feasible approach towards mastering ITTO'S?How to prepare flashcards and work with them ?any advice?
It's really challenging for me.
Thanks

Mastering ITTO'S 3 years 8 months ago #22017

• Kyle Kilbride, PMP
  • Thank you received: 49
Hi Ali,

What worked best for me was to create an excel document as I read through each chapter of PMBOK (4-13). I would make a table for each chapter with key inputs, outputs, and tools / techniques, along with any additional notes and how they related to the overall process. I would not recommend memorization, but rather to understand and be able to recognize each one. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with flash cards, but if you were to make them I would worry less about the specific process each is found in and focus more on the description / function of the ITTO. Hope that helps.

Kyle
Regards,
Kyle Kilbride, P.Eng, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator

Mastering ITTO'S 3 years 8 months ago #22034

• Tracy Shagnea, PMP
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 46
I'm with Kyle. I didn't try to memorize them. I did have a spreadsheet mapping all of them to their related processes/groups and used it as a reference and study guide during preparations. This also helped me as I was trying to understand sample test questions as I prepared. It's important to understand how they relate to processes/groups, but not that you can rattle off a complete list of hundreds of relationships....

I would NEVER have been prepared for the test if I had taken the time to memorize. I knew a couple of guys in high school that had memorized pi to a couple of hundred decimal places. Maybe they would have thought memorizing the ITTOs would be a great idea, but I have at least a semblance of a social life ;)
Forum Moderator
PMP, CSM, M.S. Management

Mastering ITTO'S 3 years 8 months ago #22040

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Totally with Kyle and Tracy on that.
I also tried to prepare my own flashcards (basically drafting PowerPoint slides), to test my knowledge on Inputs and Outputs for each process. As for the T&Ts, it helped me to build associations based on what a specific TT was meant to achieve, so that I knew better which processes would have benefited from it.

At the beginning of my preparation, I thought I would have never been able to make it - I couldn't see a way to get through it, and I knew I would have never been able to memorise them all. I felt so reassured when I finally realized there was no need to. But I can tell you it took me some time to gain this confidence, and it finally came when I was already mastering most of the topics from the PMBOK Guide.

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP

Mastering ITTO'S 3 years 8 months ago #22064

• Ali MOMENZADEHPISHROO
  • Ali MOMENZADEHPISHROO's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys
Gabriella ,
Is it possible for you to send me the screenshot of one of your Power point flash cards as a sample to give me an idea?
Thanks,

Mastering ITTO'S 3 years 8 months ago #22206

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi Ali,

so sorry for my late reply but it took me some time to go back and retrieve the file from my backup...
As you can see, this is nothing fancy, but it worked for me. In fact, my recommendation is to prepare flashcards the way it better matches your learning process.
Colors helped me with associations; e.g., I used green for the project documents, blue for Work Performance Data/Information/Reports, red for what I just could not remember ;D
And any time I picked a process in a given Knowledge area, I tried to keep in mind what the purpose of a process was, in order to derive:
1) what it brings to the project (outputs),
2) what was needed to get those outputs (inputs), and
3) how inputs are processed to get to the outputs (tools&techniques).

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ali MOMENZADEHPISHROO
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login