fbpx

Reply: Tricky PMP question involving project charter and project status meeting

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Tricky PMP question involving project charter and project status meeting

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 3 months ago #25505

SIMON CHANG

Yes, A.
First thing will always be what a PM can do for himself before asking others.
As for B and C, same as Harry.
Also, remember planning phrase, most of the time, answer will be just related to PM only.
3 years 3 months ago #25500

Anonymous

's Avatar

This explanation made a lot of sense, thanks for the response
3 years 9 months ago #21871

Harry Elston

The correct answer is "A". The project charter will give the PM the 10000 ft (or 3000 meter) view of the project and its high-level constraints. The other answers are wrong:

B: There is no project team yet - the project is still in the planning phase.
C: "Check the PMIS" is too vague: Check it for what? (While the PMIS may have some lessons learned that are applicable for the current project, it's best to see what the project is all about first)
D: Consult SMEs: You don't know what, if any, SMEs you'll need for the project until it's planned.

Hope that helps,

Harry
3 years 9 months ago #21867

Confusion on project charter

's Avatar

Hello all. In studying for the PMP exam, I have encountered the following question.
A project manager joins a project during its planning phase. What should the project manager do to become familiar with the project's status?
A. Review the project charter.
B. Organize a status meeting with the project team.
C. Check the PMIS.
D. Consult subject matter experts.

The correct answer is A (review the project charter) and the explanation suggests that it contains the most up to date information on the project. I am confused as I thought the correct answer should be B (hold a status meeting) as the status meeting is mentioned in the PMBOK. Any help would be appreciated to clarify the confusion.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login