fbpx

Reply: Change Request related question

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Change Request related question

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 9 months ago #21503

Krishna Shukla

Hi Tracy,
Thank you for the explanation. Just to make sure I understood this right, the sequence goes like, add change to issue log, analyze impact, submit change request, and implement change if approved.

With that, could you help me answer the question below?

The team lead has submitted change request related to resources. What should you as PM do next?
1. Wait for results from CCB
2. Analyze the impact

I think the answer is 1 but in the test they show 2

Thanks!
3 years 9 months ago #21487

Tracy Shagnea, PMP

Hi Krishna,

As soon as the request is made (regardless of how... verbally, in writing, mental telepathy), it needs to be logged. Then it can be analyzed and subsequently submitted to the Change Control Board (CCB) for a decision. If the CCB approves the request, you can move on to implementation and beyond.

Regards,
Tracy
3 years 9 months ago #21450

Krishna Shukla

Hello! Please help me understand the following concept

For changes to project, here is my understanding
1. A change request is NOT needed if the project is NOT yet baselined
2. A change request is NOT needed if the change does not impact the baseline etc. In this PM has the authority to make the change without going through the formal process of change control
3. A change request is needed, if change impacts baseline etc.

So with this logic, the process for submitting a change request should be
1. Analyze impact
2. Request change approval if baselines are impacted
3. Implement change if approved

HOWEVER, there are questions that ask "change request is submitted. what should the PM do next?" and answer is "Analyze the impact"

Please help me understand the sequence. Is it
1. Analyze, submit request, implement
OR
2. Submit request, analyze, implement

For reference, PMBOK 6th edition states
"Although changes may be initiated verbally, they should be recorded in written form and entered into the change
management and/or configuration management system. Change requests may require information on estimated
schedule impacts and estimated cost impacts prior to approval. Whenever a change request may impact any of the
project baselines, a formal integrated change control process is always required"

Sorry for the long post! Thank you in advance for your help!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login