Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Passed PMP today

Passed PMP today 7 months 2 weeks ago #21303

• George Armstrong
  • George Armstrong's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everybody,

Just passed PMP... These forum posts kept me going, so I thought I'd give something back.
It took me two months to prepare: started on the 27th ofMarch and took the exam precisely two months later, on the 27th of May. I studied for 4 hours per day on average, mostly during mornings. I did not need to take any course, as I hold a project management MSc.
Through my work, I have access to O'Reilly learning, so I could download the following books for free:
  • Head first PMP. I rushed through this one, and it was probably a mistake. Finished the book in one week, and finished the mock test with 86%. Beware of the false confidence here, this test is quite easy, but a great start.
  • PMP Project Management Professional Study Guide, 5th Edition by Joseph Phillips. I found this book really useful; it even tells you what flashcards you need. It also comes with a test framework, where I scored 79%
  • Rita Mulcahy's - uhh, I really disliked this one. Her own framework was not really my cup of tea.
  • PMBOK Guide - I did not read this cover to cover. I used it as a reference book.
  • PMP Project Management Professional Practice Exams by James Haner. Quite good test questions, much harder than Head first.
  • PMP Project Management Professional Practice Tests by Kim Heldman. Quite good test questions, much harder than Head first.

On top of the mocks mentioned earlier, I completed these:
  • O'Reilly's practice PMP test - 80.5%
  • A LinkedIn learning course's test (had access through work again) - 80%
  • Purchased a mock pack on Udemy. My scores were 89%, 81% and 84%
  • Oliver Lehmann 200 - 75.5%
  • Mock test from the Heldman book - 84%

In total, I answered 4050 questions from different sources.

I scheduled a test-centre based exam, but due to the COVID situation, my exam got cancelled. I rescheduled it for the same day (proctored exam) and took it from my living room. The check-in was smooth, and I could start the test 15 minutes early. There was a scheduled break after 89 (!) questions. I used almost 2 hours to complete the first part; the questions were nothing like I had seen before. I started panicking, marked about 30 questions for review. The second part consisted of more familiar questions (I mean similar questions, not questions I had seen before), and I marked fewer of them for review. In the end, I had 8 minutes left; clicked complete and tadaaa. I passed.

Hope this helps, if you guys have any questions, just let me know.

Passed PMP today 7 months 2 weeks ago #21334

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 71
Congratulations, George! Thanks for sharing your resource list and tips.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPGabriella Dellino, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinAmy MartinezEmily Rivera, PMPLisa Sweeney PMPHarry ElstonMani SelvanDenver MartinEric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMPSarah FucciThiago França, PMP®Felix Kamanga, PMPChan RampersaudElena MekhanoshinaKyle Kilbride, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login