fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Change request and submission

Change request and submission 3 years 10 months ago #21174

• Subhayu Ghosh
  • Subhayu Ghosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I understand that a change may be REQUESTED by anyone (stakeholder both inside and outside the organisation).
My confusion is who can formally SUBMIT these requested changes?
1) PM, 2) CCB, 3) Any stakeholder, 4) ONLY AND ONLY anyone authorised as per the Change Management Plan
Second should all requested and/or submitted change be recorded in the change log or only those changes that are approved by CBC must be recorded in the change log?

There are so many opinions on both I am confused with them. I would really appreciate a short and precise answer not long paragraphs going in circles. Sorry I am really confuse and frustrated with this, spent hours and hours researching to no avail.
THANKS A LOT

Change request and submission 3 years 10 months ago #21175

• Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP
  • Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP's Avatar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi Subhayu.

I hope that my answer will be short and sweet.

Anyone can submit a change request. However, disposition of the change request (acceptance, rejection and deferment) is done by the CCB. About the changelog; the disposition of the change request by the CCB is recorded here. So all change request whether they got accepted or rejected will be in the changelog as this document records the status of all change request. (PMBOK 6th Edition, Pg 124)

Hope that helps.

Best.
Eric Wanyutu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Subhayu Ghosh

Change request and submission 3 years 10 months ago #21176

• Subhayu Ghosh
  • Subhayu Ghosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This was helpful Eric. So I understand that
1) Change requests can not only be requested by anyone they can also be submitted by anyone
2) All requested change request need to be recorded in the change log

Change request and submission 3 years 10 months ago #21179

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 604
Here is a copy/paste from our conversation on LinkedIn... it matches 100% what Eric said (and I only saw his response after I responded to you in LinkedIn).

The answer is quite simple. Anyone can submit a change request and every change request must be recorded.

The reason why anyone can submit a change request is quite simple: How are you going to stop them? I mean, they can just send you an email with their suggestion and - BANG - you have a change request on your hands. Also, if someone has an idea for a change request for your project then you should welcome those as an opportunity to improve your deliverables and project.

And you document every change request so that you have a history of what was suggested and how the request was processed and then either approved or denied.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login