fbpx

Reply: Confusion on Video Training Session - Organisational Systems - Part 2

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Confusion on Video Training Session - Organisational Systems - Part 2

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 10 months ago #21029

Cornelius Fichtner

Yes. Harry is absolutely correct. I quickly looked at the slides of this presentation and the difference between virtual and multi-divisional is exactly as he says.

For example, our company (OSP International LLC) is a 100% virtual company. We have about 22 members on our team and they are all working from home. Some full-time, others part-time and many are contractors. If we wanted to (but we are too small for that) we could also divide our company up into several divisions: The exam prep training division, the PDU division and our corporate training division. In this case, we would still all be virtual, but in addition to being virtual, each of these divisions might have their own PMO, HR, and finance department.
3 years 10 months ago #21014

Harry Elston

Nico,

A virtual structure is different from a multi-divisional structure. A virtual structure is used when team members are dispersed geographically and are using a lot of technology to meet and connect. A multi-divisional organization is one where you would would see more silos sorted by expertise, but in the same geographic location.

Harry
3 years 10 months ago #21006

Jacobus Nicolaas Van Rooyen

Hi there

I've only recently started with the PM-PrepCast programme in preparation to take my PMP exam, and I'm still getting used to how things are done, so please excuse my ignorance :)

Right now I viewing the "Organisational Systems - Part 2" video, and about 5 minutes into the video the Virtual Team Organisation Structure is discusses - most interesting and useful!! However, when the advantages and disadvantages are discussed, it suddenly refers to the "Multi-divisional structure". Are the Virtual and Multi-divisional structures the same thing? Surely not - I'm a bit confused, could someone guide me in this regard please?

If it is a small mistake, where can I see such previously reported mistakes so as not to have to bother anyone with such obvious questions?

Much appreciated, and again, please excuse my ignorance

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login