fbpx

Reply: Application question - Project Manager but don't work on scope or budget/cost?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Application question - Project Manager but don't work on scope or budget/cost?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 2 weeks ago #20271

Harry Elston

Francesca,

First and foremost, do not be afraid of an audit. My view of an audit is that it is outside of my control so there's nothing I can do about it. Generally, applications are randomly selected for audit so there really is nothing you can do about it. Personally, my biggest concern regarding getting audited was that the supervisors on two of my projects on my application were either dead or retired!

Second and perhaps equally important - the absolutely worse thing that can happen is that they say "no" and that's where you're at now so nothing changes.

That being said, I asked the folks at PMI to look at my application and they were very helpful in the sense of "As it's written, it won't work. We suggest this wording..." That was before I had met anyone here at the Prepcast. There are many moderators on the boards (like Emily, previous Moderator) that are well versed on what to look for.

Good luck!
4 years 2 weeks ago #20264

Emily Rivera, PMP

Hi Francesca,
It's hard to answer your question with certainty, as none of us here work for PMI. However, I do think they are more interested in seeing that you have experiences across the 5 process groups, which is definitely possible even if you are not involved in scoping and budgeting. As long as you can demonstrate experiences from Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring/Controlling, and Closing, you should be okay. I think there are many project managers out there who do not manage every aspect (knowledge area) of their projects, so certainly you are not alone in this regard. Best of luck to you!
4 years 3 weeks ago #20235

Francesca Scalia

Hello
I am a project manager working in a small Clinical Research Organization. I am going through the PM PrepCast course and also beginning to think about my PMP application. I have been working in this company for over 3 years (approx 3 years 3 months).
In this role, I am not involved in determining scope and cost/budget (all done by the operations group), but do work on the majority of the other PM related tasks that are indicated in the knowledge areas/process groups.

Do you think the lack of work in these fields would lead me to fail an audit (if I am selected)?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login