Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Where do I even begin? Feeling overwhelmed

Where do I even begin? Feeling overwhelmed 7 months 1 week ago #19970

• Francesca Scalia
  • Francesca Scalia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I have joined the PM Prep Cast in order to receive my 35 contact hours and then be able to apply for and take the PMP exam. I also purchased the Simulator.

I've been looking through the Forum and introduction videos and am not sure where should I even begin?
- Watch all the Prep Cast videos and take notes?
- Read the entire PMBOK 6th edition?
- I also have PMP Exam Prep by Rita 9th edition, should I read this too?

I am hoping to write the exam before the summer. Where should I even begin or I suppose what would be the most optimal way to begin?

Where do I even begin? Feeling overwhelmed 7 months 1 week ago #19972

• David Carmen, PMP
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Francesca, approach this just like a project, break it down into manageable work packages and then develop a plan to complete those. Looking at the whole can seem overwhelming, but once broken down into manageable chunks, you'll be able to conquer it easily. I found that a read through on the PMBOK, highlighting concepts new to you, then watching the prepcast videos, while following along in the PMBOK worked for me. Once complete with the lessons, I started in on the simulated exams. Take time to review the correct answers on those questions you miss in the simulation. I also used the quiz feature to take a 30 question quiz every day at lunch, and also reviewed the correct answers. Make sure you understand the reason the answer is correct. There are quite a few questions in the simulation that contain 2 or 3 technically correct answers but one is the most correct. My goal was to achieve 80% on the simulations and quizzes before I sat for the exam. I took the exam last Thursday and was above target in all 5 domains. Lastly, Take the advice from "The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy", By Douglas Adams (no, it's not a PM study guide) and DON'T PANIC. You'll do fine.

Where do I even begin? Feeling overwhelmed 7 months 1 week ago #19973

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 78
Francesca:

It does seem overwhelming at the outset, but it is not.

I used a multi-level approach because of the way that I learn and because of where I judged myself compared to the PMI PMP Test Standard. I have a very auditory learning style, meaning I need to hear the information as opposed to reading it, so this approach may not work for you.

In conjunction with the PMPrepcast (essentially a lecture series on the PMBOK Guide), I purchased the book Head First PMP and of course, the PMBOK Guide. I followed the Prepcast along with the PMBOK, then circled back in Head First PMP. I then augmented that with 10-50 question quizzes from the Exam Simulator in each knowledge area. About 5 weeks into studying (and a little over half way through the PMBOK/Prepcast), I started full Exams from the simulator, recognizing that my scores would be terrible because of material that I had not yet covered. I repeated that process until I finished the Prepcast/PMBOK and Head First, then repeated exams and went through all the quiz questions. I also made a set of flash 49 flash cards with knowledge area/process group/ITTO information on it.

Like David, when you hit can consistently hit 80%+ on exams and quizzes, you know you're close to the end.

I did not "read" the PMBOK Guide but I did follow it with the Prepcast and took notes in my guide. The PMBOK reads like any other ANSI standard and has all the excitement of watching paint dry.

It's a lot of material, but 12 weeks of hard-core studying did the job for me. (Note, I'm an independent consultant so planned my time accordingly. You may not have that luxury).

Good luck!

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

Where do I even begin? Feeling overwhelmed 7 months 1 week ago #19984

• Neeraj Vasudeva
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Francesca,

Have a look at this post, it might help.
www.project-management-prepcast.com/kune...omeone-do-well#19782

Also do more searches on this forum, as to what other journeys have been. Based on other people shared learning, pick up a strategy and tailor it according to your needs & constraints.

All the best.

-Neeraj

Where do I even begin? Feeling overwhelmed 6 months 2 weeks ago #20215

• Heather Oberfoell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
How do you access the quiz feature? I have heard that referenced multiple times. Thank you!

Where do I even begin? Feeling overwhelmed 6 months 2 weeks ago #20216

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 336
Heather... please take a look at our tutorials.

This one will help: traffic.libsyn.com/pmpodcast/pm_exam_sim...or_learning_quiz.mp4
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heather Oberfoell
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPGabriella Dellino, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinAmy MartinezEmily Rivera, PMPLisa Sweeney PMPHarry ElstonMani SelvanDenver MartinEric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMPSarah FucciThiago França, PMP®Felix Kamanga, PMPChan RampersaudElena MekhanoshinaKyle Kilbride, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login