fbpx

Reply: Should i braindump Knowledge Area & Processes just before the exam?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Should i braindump Knowledge Area & Processes just before the exam?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 1 month ago #20010

Neeraj Vasudeva

Thanks Elizabeth, appreciate it.

-Neeraj
4 years 1 month ago #20005

Elizabeth Harrin

Congratulations!
4 years 1 month ago #19982

Neeraj Vasudeva

Thanks you for sharing your thoughts on this, appreciate it.
I gave the exam today and passed. I did not use the braindump at all.

-Neeraj
4 years 1 month ago #19979

googlesmart

I did full brain dump and about top 12 formula during my actual test. This took me about 14 minutes, which was what was expecting. Although my reading speed is relatively small, I decided to do this as it became evident to me during practice exams that having a full process map in front of me helps overall. It was also true that I was 100% confident about remembering all process forward, backward, what before and after....I am mean all of it :)

The way I decided to have it is that I observed that even though I knew all processes, it took me few seconds to remember those I then use into question in front of me. I use to make silly mistake as everybody else but that problem went away later. So, after writing down at the beginning I calculated that even if I save 3 fewer seconds per questions because of having process in front of me, that will give me whole 10 minutes. So, I was almost recovering major part of it, despite some questions do not need these processes. Another advantage is that my accuracy increased by couple of percentage and that was big advantage.

I am statistical guy so based on my performance, I concluded that having full brain dump is giving me more advantage than risk of losing time. However one thing was sure that, no matter what technique you use, you should have ton of practice on it before facing real thing!
4 years 1 month ago #19936

Neeraj Vasudeva

Thanks Elizabeth/Harry for the response!!

These were exactly my thoughts, since I was not sure, if Pearson gives an option for paper rather than wipeable sheets.

I gave my first PM-Simulator mock test today and referred thrice to the typed process sheet ( i pre-typed it on computer notepad and it took me 8-9 min).
It helped to some extent since i encountered 3 questions wherein i was able to quickly glance at what's the next process, having said that while i haven't yet tried on actual writing on a paper, i am sure, it would be more time consuming that to hand write compared to the typing that I have been doing.

I will try my next mock test without referring to typed processes and would solely rely on my memory.

Harry, writing important unique ITTO on back of flash card is a very useful tip, thanks for the same.
Unfortunately, I guess, it's now too late for me to implement it since i have an exam coming Monday... on a 2nd though, i am thinking, may be i should attempt especially the Tools & techniques ..would you agree with me?

Nevertheless this is a very useful tip for future students ... err, hopefully i pass on coming Monday :-)

-Neeraj
4 years 1 month ago #19934

Harry Elston

Neeraj:

Weather to brain dump or not will depend on your learning style. Understand that the time you take "brain dumping" the clock is ticking on the exam. (There is no more "free time" on the exam at the beginning).

I can tell you how I approached it: I made up a set of 49 flash cards representing Table 1.4. On the front was the intersection of the specific process group vs. knowledge area. (Example: "Develop Project Charter") On the back of the card were UNIQUE ITTOs that the task represented. I omitted common ITTOs that are found in nearly every task. I would then shuffle the cards and the trick was to put them in order by either Process Group or by Knowledge Area. I then tried to recall unique ITTOs associated with each card (but I didn't spend a lot of time on ITTOs). Once you're able to do that a few times quickly (like in under 2 minutes) that table is burned into your brain deep enough for the exam. I found being able to recall where I was at in terms of Table 1.4 was a key factor in successfully completing the exam.

Everyone has a different learning style. Mine happens to be that when I write something down and put it in a box (i.e. the organization of Table 1.4) I tend to remember it.

Good luck!

Harry

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login