fbpx

Reply: This one hurts family!! :( Should I continue with being the PMP Certification?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : This one hurts family!! :( Should I continue with being the PMP Certification?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 1 month ago #19924

Harry Elston

Kennard:

I found Head First PMP by Greene and Stellman to be very helpful in my preparations, in addition to the PrepCast and Exam Simulator. Make sure you go though all 1600+ questions in the exam simulator with an eye towards understanding the "why" behind the answers.

Harry
4 years 1 month ago #19922

googlesmart

Kennard,
I think you made significant improvements. I don't think this is the time to turn your back. What you did between two attempts worked. So, there is no need to make any significant changes. Just add something more to your knowledge base. I am sure your detailed result showed that you were very close to pass line. You can look for micro gaps to get just few more questions correct. My advice
1. Look to solve certain type of questions/problems slightly faster.
2. If you are weak in one of the area, and that question is too wordy, you can learn to mark these questions and come back later.
3. If brain dump helps you, do so, if it doesn't, eliminate it.
4. If your problem are mostly correct, do them faster.
5. Obviously, if one of knowledge area is consistently weak, you know what to do.
6. May be consider adding additional book to your reading material. Many times it is beneficial to have a different source.

In my opinion, you are in the flow and should take the test as quick as possible.
Good luck!
4 years 1 month ago #19913

Kennard McDonald

Thank you Harry!! I will keep on pushing and get this done. Just need to a break and start back up again.
4 years 1 month ago #19908

Harry Elston

Kennard,

It appears as though you made some great strides improving your scores. However, only you can decide if it's "worth it" or not in terms of time and treasure.

PMPs bring a skill set to the table that is recognized throughout the world. I will relate a conversation I had with a young executive in the transportation industry in the US. (Note: I am a safety professional that specializes in chemical safety. The conversation took place in the lobby bar during a week I was on site with a client).

I was in the middle of preparing for the PMP exam and I needed a sanity check. I asked the young executive if she had ever heard of a Project Management Professional and replied that yes, and the certification was very important to her company when working with contractors. I asked why and she said, "It's a mark that shows the individual knows how to get stuff done." I took that as a positive motivator for me to continue to study.

I cannot say yet say that it's been "worth it" in terms of more job or contracts. But I can say that it was worth the time, talent and treasure that I spent to do the certification, as I can now speak with other projects managers that I do have to interact with using their language and that has helped immensely. I would encourage you to continue - no education of any kind is ever wasted.

Best,

Harry
4 years 1 month ago #19904

Kennard McDonald

I took the PMP exam two times now. See results
First attempt
Initiating - Needs Improvement-1
Planning - Needs Improvement
Executing - Needs Improvement
Monitoring and Controlling - Needs Improvement
Closing - Below Target

Today's Exam results
Initiating - Below Target
Planning -Target
Executing - Target
Monitoring and Controlling - Target
Closing - Above Target

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login